• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What's your favourite pantheon?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
FR is way too big a pantheon for me. I suppose Greyhawk, but Exandria made it a lot more codified and thematic, which I like.

Voadam

Legend
Just as an aside, there's a Finnish god named Ilamatar, with the same rough description as the FR god in Deities & Demigods, so Ed can claim whatever he wants, but...yeah.

So I looked up Ilmatar in the 1e DDG in the Finnish pantheon, she is Vainamoinen's Mom, goddess of mothers and daughter of air, and not really like the description of Ilmater the male FR broken god of martyrs and perseverance who takes on the suffering of others. The similarity in names is striking, but that seems to be the only similarity.

Voadam

Legend
FR is way too big a pantheon for me. I suppose Greyhawk, but Exandria made it a lot more codified and thematic, which I like.
I have this problem with the pantheon size in the Kingdoms of Kalamar, the 50 or so deities look interesting, but that is a bit too much to get into from scratch so I am only familiar with the ones that showed up in their modules that I read.

FR had a ton of deities from the beginning, but a large number were already detailed in common D&D sourcebooks such as DDG and dragon articles and later UA for the non human ones so there was a decent base of familiarity to build off of.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I have this problem with the pantheon size in the Kingdoms of Kalamar, the 50 or so deities look interesting, but that is a bit too much to get into from scratch so I am only familiar with the ones that showed up in their modules that I read.

FR had a ton of deities from the beginning, but a large number were already detailed in common D&D sourcebooks such as DDG and dragon articles and later UA for the non human ones so there was a decent base of familiarity to build off of.

Yeah, when I started D&D I didn't have many sourcebooks, but did listen to a number of podcasts, including Critical Role and Not-Another-D&D-Podcast, and Dingo Doodles. All for some reason used some variation of the Greyhawk deities, chiefly Pelor, Melora, and a couple others, so whenever I think "I need a nature god, or I need a sun god," those are always the defaults in my head.

I've never liked any of the official pantheons. Too cliché. I always use a homebrew pantheon that a friend of mine came up with, which has over 22 deities.

The Judge's Guild book, Unknown Gods, has some fun deities. The names are a little strange, but I like many of the concepts:

1598597415841.png

1598597474404.png

One of my favourite deities in my homebrew pantheon is the God of Storms. He is worshipped by mostly sailors (and their family), who pray to him for a safe voyage. People believe that a storm is a sign that the God of Storms has been angered by some great injustice, which causes him to release the storm from his net.

Yes, he literally keeps the storm in a net, and lets it out when he's angry.

Dioltach

Legend
I just had an idea: a pantheon consisting of all your players' previous characters! Maybe change the names slightly. Then see how long it takes for the players to catch on.

Coroc

Hero

GH in principal is also to many, but that derives from the Suel, Oeridian and Baklunish having different gods for the same portfolio.

It is a thing I try to avoid, when I DM greyhawk I pick the ones which are needed and a handful of them available as PC cleric/paladin/ranger deities.

Remove ads