D&D 5E What's your favourite pantheon?

The thing about the Dawn War pantheon is that a lot of the beings referred to as gods in other pantheons are still there. They're just downgraded to exarch status.

For example, Maglubiyet was an exarch of Bane because he submitted to the latter god.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've always disiked how priests and clerics (and sometimes all PCs and NPCs) each worship one particular deity. I'd much prefer it if everyone just prays to the appropriate deity as necessary: the goddess of war before a battle, the god of the sea during a storm, and so on.

My favourite fictional pantheon is the one hinted at in "Iron Eyes and the Watered Down World" by Saladin Ahmed. I won't go into detail here, in the hopes that people will be interested and check out that excellent sword & sorcery pastiche by an amazing writer (and yay! I just found out there's a sequel!).
They do do this though, it's something Ed Greenwood has mentioned, pretty sure it's in the books somewhere. A priest of Mystra will still make an offering to Umberlee for safe passage, for instance. Priests are dedicated and draw their power from a single god, but they still say appropriate prayers and make offerings to others.

Remove ads