D&D (2024) What's your opinion on the standardization of Spellcasters?

What is your opinion on the standardization of spellcasters?

• It is very good (And a dealbreaker if they don't stick with it)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • It is good

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • It is bad

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • It is very bad (And a dealbreaker if they don't reverse it)

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 8 8.0%

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Ok, let's try to gauge a reaction. This is a hot topic, but the discussion is spread out across threads. So let's just get a feel of it.

What is your response to the next changes?
  • All spellcasters prepare spells. With a fixed set of always prepared spells per class.
  • The slots to prepare spells are fixed per level.
  • All classes care about schools to know which spells to prepare.

aco175

Legend
I win, 100%

I think that casters should prepare spells at the start of each day. This can be from a book of several spells or from a god with all of the spells as choices. There should be a list of spells that the caster has floating around in his head. If he has 6 spells prepared and 4 slots, he can cast any of those 6 spells 4 times.

There can be mechanics for certain casters to regain spells like the wizard or swap prepared spells from a book or something else. These would be options for certain classes. There can even be an option for some to have cures as always prepared spells or such.

Stalker0

Legend
Ok, let's try to gauge a reaction. This is a hot topic, but the discussion is spread out across threads. So let's just get a feel of it.

What is your response to the next changes?
  • All spellcasters prepare spells. With a fixed set of always prepared spells per class.
  • The slots to prepare spells are fixed per level.
  • All classes care about schools to know which spells to prepare.
On 1: The idea of giving casters the ability to reprepare spells from their whole list is a massive buff. This has always been the purview of the divine classes, and so had weaker spells generally as a result. The fact that a bard can do this now is an incredible boost of power, and I don't really think its warranted.

On 2: This is fine, we have been doing this since the start of 5e and I think its fine.

On 3: I think this is actually less newb friendly. Its much easier to go, "here is a specific list of spells, choose anything on it you want" than it is, "here is a list of spells, choose anything except ones that have this thing, or that thing, of XYZ". It does certainly save space, but I think its a bit clunky.

I think frankly that this is a terrible change and I'm torn between whether it's merely very bad or gamebreakingly bad. It doesn't just homogenize all the classes as they essentially have the same relationship to magic, it homogenises characters within the classes as they all know exactly the same spells

Further it degrades play experience at the table as everyone has a massively long list of spells to check through at long rests. And players have to either use electronic tools or care about abstract things like spell schools.

Yaarel

He Mage
I am fine with the Bard having flexible access to spells.

Other class concepts work better if deciding the spells while leveling, because they represent a more "superhero" like concept with specific powers. Some Sorcerer concepts are like mutants with spells representing specific genetic powers. While leveling, they need to be able to undo bad decisions that the made at a previous level. But the spells are mostly enduring. In other words, they decide which spells are "always prepared" while leveling.

Grantypants

Explorer
I like standardization to some extent, but I don't want this to be the standard. I've never really liked the idea that divine casters automatically knew all the spells in their class spell lists and could cast anything from the list that they prepared and had a slot for.

Instead, I'd rather see everyone standardized like wizards. Everyone has a spell book or equivalent and learns spells from the appropriate spell lists, then prepares some number of those learned spells for casting every morning. Everyone learns new spells at level up but can also learn new spells through adventuring, as long as the new spells are on the right spell list and in the right school.

1) I would like the bard to have a song book. I think wen need to see the sorcerer as well as the warlock to really gauge if all casters prepare spells. I bet they won't.

2) I am not sure about spell slots = prepared slots. It is a nerf for high level casters and runs contrary to the idea of unerused spells seeing more game play. If you can only prepare a single level 8 or 9 spell, you want to make sure it counts.

3) I like the access through schools. Feels way less arbitrary.

Vaalingrade

Legend
As I've said elsewhere, spell prep was the unfun thing that keeps me from playing clerics or wizards. Now it's infecting my favorite class and I don't like it.

It's fine for there to be one class that has to do obnoxious homework every morning, but don't make me do it with EVERY class.

Remove ads