• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What's your opinion on the standardization of Spellcasters?

What is your opinion on the standardization of spellcasters?

• It is very good (And a dealbreaker if they don't stick with it)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • It is good

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • It is bad

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • It is very bad (And a dealbreaker if they don't reverse it)

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 8 8.0%

All spellcasters prepare spells. With a fixed set of always prepared spells per class.

I assume the Sorcerer will be a spontaneous caster, during the DnD Next playtest ( became 5e) many people felt that other classes being spontaneous casters in a way took away from what made the Sorcerer feel unique.

the Jester

Legend
Ok, let's try to gauge a reaction. This is a hot topic, but the discussion is spread out across threads. So let's just get a feel of it.

What is your response to the next changes?
  • All spellcasters prepare spells. With a fixed set of always prepared spells per class.
  • The slots to prepare spells are fixed per level.
  • All classes care about schools to know which spells to prepare.
Since we have only seen one spellcaster so far, isn't it a bit early to say this? Or was this stated in one of the videos I haven't watched?

If this is how it works, I think this is a change for the sake of change that doesn't improve anything and, in fact, is a step backward, third bullet point excepted. But I don't think this is how it is going to be (especially the third bullet point).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I voted for the "don't care" option.

Whether or not spellcasters have to prepare spells is not nearly as much of an issue for me as spell slots are. If they don't give us Spell Points, or at least the option for them, I'm not gonna be happy.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm bored of martial combat. WotC should create another three or four more ways to do weapon fighting.

Because that's what D&D needs... to be more like the board game Root-- where every class has completely different mechanics and gameplay to learn and use but somehow can all combine and work together to create an experience to win.

The board game is indeed the most important part of the D&D experience.

;)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think it's too early to say about specifics without seeing any of the priest or mage classes & archetypes but in general I think the current direction of flex-vancian & prep from a possible subset of the overall arcane/divine/primal lists with extra always prepped bonus spells is probably going to be a good thing. I'm more interested in how they handle edge cases like the mage group & maybe some priest archetypes.

I'm bored of martial combat. WotC should create another three or four more ways to do weapon fighting.

Because that's what D&D needs... to be more like the board game Root-- where every class has completely different mechanics and gameplay to learn and use but somehow can all combine and work together to create an experience to win.

;)
Honestly? Fast and visceral or deep and interactive. I can enjoy both. What I don't enjoy is what amounts to playing patty-cake until one side runs out of hit points. which is the way 5e works. The current situation where a CR2 ogre has 59 hit points but there are very limited tactics is the worst of both worlds and is one of my two big beefs with 5e. (The other one is just how bad the DM tools are).

Fortunately there is more variety on the way. We've already seen things like the Charger feat (which both requires using mobility and grants a significant amount of mobility) and Shield Master buffed and the costs to them brought down.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You jest, but giving martial characters more to do in combat than say “I attack with my weapon” and make an attack roll would be a big improvement.
Never played this board game, but what you’re describing sounds great.
In my experience, the combat mini game tends to take up the most time at the table. It’d be nice if that minigame was fun to play in and of itself.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Since we have only seen one spellcaster so far, isn't it a bit early to say this? Or was this stated in one of the videos I haven't watched?
Nah, it’s just people seeing how the Bard and Ranger work in this UA and assuming that all casters will work the same way. Which might not necessarily be wrong, but I do think it’s too early to say. Whether or not we see this style of casting applied to other classes will depend on what the feedback to this UA looks like.

Remove ads