Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

The whole boat ride and the beginning of Matt's luck. :(
I don't remember any of that. All I remember was:
  • Thom meeting them at Whitebridge fighting the Fade
  • Sleeping in some barn, a darkfriend woman and the side of a barn blown out.
  • Vague memories of description of the road to Caemlyn.

It feels to me like if they cut the stuff I don't remember after 20 years, they've probably made the right decisions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't remember any of that. All I remember was:
  • Thom meeting them at Whitebridge fighting the Fade
  • Sleeping in some barn, a darkfriend woman and the side of a barn blown out.
  • Vague memories of description of the road to Caemlyn.

It feels to me like if they cut the stuff I don't remember after 20 years, they've probably made the right decisions.
Rand & Mat in Caemalyn and meeting Elayne, Gawyn, and Galad for the first time is pretty central to the entire series, but a lot of what was cut was picturesque detail.

Rand & Mat in Caemalyn and meeting Elayne, Gawyn, and Galad for the first time is pretty central to the entire series, but a lot of what was cut was picturesque detail.
Yeah. I remember that, but to a large degree that hasn't been so much cut as replaced.
They cut some amazing prose, IMHO, but I can appreciate their decision here to move the story forward. Methinks Mat's luck will come up.
To my memory, Matt's luck didn't really come up until book 3 (not saying it didn't come up earlier - I just didn't really note it). I don't remember Matt making much impression on me at all until he wakes up in the tower after the whole business with the dagger. I think that might have been the first time we got things from his point of view.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. I remember that, but to a large degree that hasn't been so much cut as replaced.

To my memory, Matt's luck didn't really come up until book 3 (not saying it didn't come up earlier - I just didn't really note it). I don't remember Matt making much impression on me at all until he wakes up in the tower after the whole business with the dagger. I think that might have been the first time we got things from his point of view.
Indeed, that is where the very first Mat POV chapter begins in book 3.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
His luck begins after finding the dagger and ending up on the boat to Whitebridge with Thom and Rand. In book 3 after the dagger, it's magnified to a much greater degree. I think Jordan wanted to set it up as a gift of his that was magnified by what happened, rather than a gift that came about because of what happened.

Herschel

Adventurer
The warder bit was overdone. I don't feel like we had chance enough to bond with him to give much emotional impact. It just seemed like they were dedicating the bulk of a whole episode to a tertiary character...if it is about foreshadowing, they could have done it more effectively with much less.

I rather enjoyed it. It gave us background on the warders and wasn't just a myopic slog of main character focus for the short of attention span. The four main kids are probably the weakest (common) actors in the show (and the one who plays Mat has already been recast for season 2) and this showcased some chops among the rest of the cast while the four grow into their roles.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I rather enjoyed it. It gave us background on the warders and wasn't just a myopic slog of main character focus for the short of attention span. The four main kids are probably the weakest (common) actors in the show (and the one who plays Mat has already been recast for season 2) and this showcased some chops among the rest of the cast while the four grow into their roles.
Doh! Matt was my favorite of the guys. Rand is growing on me a bit, but Perrin I'm just okay with at this point.

Why did they recast him?

Doh! Matt was my favorite of the guys. Rand is growing on me a bit, but Perrin I'm just okay with at this point.

Why did they recast him?
No one knows. It was apparently amicable, though, as there have been no rumblings of any friction between him and the cast or production. The actor probably didn't want a long term commitment, or there was some health or family issue.

Last edited:

Remove ads