Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Bolares

Hero
About things being rushed... The way they brought Rand Frod... Mat and Nyneave back toghether was SO JARRING to me... I get that they didn't need to show her going to the garden and talking with big fella, but wow, that felt fast.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Matt deffinatelly seems rushed. He went from charming guy that loves his sisters but is not very responsible with his own life choices, to a lazy as**ole to basically frodo when he got hurt by the Nazgul... I really liked him in the first episode, but it went downhill from there for me. Rand is fine, a little whiny at first, but within reason...
There's a reason for that. It happens slightly slower in the books, but it looks like things are moving faster in the series due to some of those changes that are happening.

Bolares

Hero
There's a reason for that. It happens slightly slower in the books, but it looks like things are moving faster in the series due to some of those changes that are happening.
I was hopping that was the case. I just feel I didn't have time to digest each fase of his personalitty yet. I'm curious to where his story is going, I just don't care as much for him right now as I felt in episode one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Matt deffinatelly seems rushed. He went from charming guy that loves his sisters but is not very responsible with his own life choices, to a lazy as**ole to basically frodo when he got hurt by the Nazgul... I really liked him in the first episode, but it went downhill from there for me. Rand is fine, a little whiny at first, but within reason...
That is all very much in keeping with the books, actually. Once we start getting Mat POV chapters in book 3, however, he usually becomes people's favorite characters in the series and maybe one of the most compelling protagonists in fantasy literature. Beyond even wanting to not get too spoilers, I have a hard time summarizing how bizarre Mat's life ends up being...

Actually, for my money, taking the total journey and the destination into account, all five villagers might be among my favorite protagonists in all of fantasy literature. These kids go places and do things, hope the show gets that across while it runs.

Bolares

Hero
Actually, for my money, taking the total journey and the destination into account, all five villagers might be among my favorite protagonists in all of fantasy literature. These kids go places and do things, hope the show gets that across while it runs.
I really like this idea of having 5 protagonists from the same place that will grow to fill different roles. This has been one of the biggest ups for the series for me this far. I still like Mat (even more if we can go back to episode one Mat at some point), but the other 4 right now are much more interesting to me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I was hopping that was the case. I just feel I didn't have time to digest each fase of his personalitty yet. I'm curious to where his story is going, I just don't care as much for him right now as I felt in episode one.
In the books Matt is my favorite character, just barely eclipsing Rand. The darkness phase is probably my least favorite portion of his story, but they seem to be moving it at an accelerated pace given the changes being made for the show. I wouldn't be surprised if it's done with in the next episode or two.

Bolares

Hero
In the books Matt is my favorite character, just barely eclipsing Rand. The darkness phase is probably my least favorite portion of his story, but they seem to be moving it at an accelerated pace given the changes being made for the show. I wouldn't be surprised if it's done with in the next episode or two.
I like how they are contrasting this fase of his with the false dragon and the madness. Makes you question if that's where he is going...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really like this idea of having 5 protagonists from the same place that will grow to fill different roles. This has been one of the biggest ups for the series for me this far. I still like Mat (even more if we can go back to episode one Mat at some point), but the other 4 right now are much more interesting to me.
The books in great detail, because thst is the only way Robert Jordan knew how to do things, lampshade the absurdity that five such wildly different and globally important people came from one small random village within a few years of each other and tie it into the broader themes of destiny and providence at the heart of the story.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The books in great detail, because thst is the only way Robert Jordan knew how to do things, lampshade the absurdity that five such wildly different and globally important people came from one small random village within a few years of each other and tie it into the broader themes of destiny and providence at the heart of the story.
Right. @Bolares you've heard Moiraine mention that the protagonists are Ta'veren, but she didn't explain what that meant. You've also heard mention of the wheel and maybe the pattern. In the books we get a much better explanation of those things. The wheel is something like sewing wheel and the pattern is the reality that is woven by it. Each person, object and creature in existence is a thread.

If you take a shirt and the threads in it, sometimes a thread can move around or even be plucked out and next to nothing will happen to the shirt. Other threads are critical and if you remove them you lose a button or a sleeve falls off. Ta'veren are those critically important threads.

For purposes of the story, the minor threads have more latitude to alter their lives and change their circumstances. The Ta'veren, through, are much more tightly woven into the pattern. Their importance actually swirls the threads of others around them and creates great alterations to the pattern, but while the destines of others get changed, the destines of the Ta'veren are pretty set in stone. It's an interesting contrast that Jordan set up.

Remove ads