• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
On Ta'veren:

@Maxperson is somewhat wrong in their explanation. A normal person has little to say about how the wheel weaves them -- it is hard for them to move their thread. Meanwhile, Ta'veren alter the weave as they move through it -- they make the weave respond to them. There are some places for everyone where the wheel holds you tight, but where that isn't happening it's the Ta'veren that alter things to their use while normal people find it much harder to alter their destiny (not impossible, but difficult). It's not predestination so much as what it's names -- a pattern. Ta'veren change the pattern easily, normal people do not, but may with great effort.

So, with that correction, the girls are even MORE impressive for what they did without being Ta'veren. They did it the hard way, and earned every last step, having to fight for it. In my opinion, the changing of Egwene to Ta'veren does a huge disservice to the character, because it take away from what she did by making it more about magical people than hard work and grit.

TheSword

Legend
On the slopes of Dragonmount shall he be born,
born of a maiden wedded to no man.
He will be of the ancient blood, and raised by the old blood.
When the winds of Tarmon Gai'don scour the earth,
he will face the Shadow and bring forth Light again in the world.
- The Kareathon Cycle

“He is born again. I feel him. The Dragon has taken his first breath on the slope of Dragonmount. He is coming. He Is Coming
- Gitara Moroso, Keeper. 978 NE

Really can’t wait for that flashback!

MarkB

Legend
About things being rushed... The way they brought Rand Frod... Mat and Nyneave back toghether was SO JARRING to me... I get that they didn't need to show her going to the garden and talking with big fella, but wow, that felt fast.
Given how many scenes wound up taking place in that one corridor junction with the statues, I did wonder if maybe they didn't actually have many sets for the Tower. Maybe they'd planned a bridging scene in either the garden or library, but decided it wasn't worth building a set just for that one scene.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Given how many scenes wound up taking place in that one corridor junction with the statues, I did wonder if maybe they didn't actually have many sets for the Tower. Maybe they'd planned a bridging scene in either the garden or library, but decided it wasn't worth building a set just for that one scene.
The show has a very high budget, but that's definitely the sort of area where I could see them consolidating costs for efficiencies sake.

I do hope they'll do Mat justice -- he's my favorite character of the series. So far ... not.

And I forget ... in what book did they
first visit the Tower of Ghengji?
That location and its inhabitants is once of my favorites -- to the point I wrote rules for the game of Snakes and Foxes (assuming we'll eventually meet Olver).

Finally, on Ta'veren. I get it they're a thing ... I always thought it was a weak point. Why does everyone have to be destined? Why can't they make choices rather than have everyone swirled in their wake? Delete the concept (would take a lot of editing) and the books might have been better for it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That location and its inhabitants is once of my favorites -- to the point I wrote rules for the game of Snakes and Foxes (assuming we'll eventually meet Olver).
That shows up as a background thing in Eye pf the World, prior to the events of Episode 5 considerably so I doubt it will show up this Season in any capacity (Bayle Doman might e cut from the series completely, or only show up later), but doesn't pay off until Towers of Midnight.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That shows up as a background thing in Eye pf the World, prior to the events of Episode 5 considerably so I doubt it will show up this Season in any capacity (Bayle Doman might e cut from the series completely, or only show up later), but doesn't pay off until Towers of Midnight.
He might be referring to the archways as well. It and the inhabitants kinda show up during those instances.

Remove ads