D&D General When is a weapon, a Light weapon?

I'd say that BamBam's and Billy's weapons are both greatclubs, really. One is wielded by someone with excessive strength, the other is a magic item.
Aren't they both wielded, on occasion, one-handed? So that would make them versatile, not great :)
My point was, "club" is a very non-descriptive term. Great Club, sure, we get that. But club seems to commonly (outside D&D) be used to describe anything from a rolling pin to a giant's great club.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Aren't they both wielded, on occasion, one-handed? So that would make them versatile, not great :)

I already noted - BamBam has strength far beyond that of mortal men - in anyone else's hand's, it is a greatclub. Billy's is magical. A non-magical version of it would be a greatclub.

Voadam

Legend
I think Bobby is usually depicted swinging with two hands, and Bam Bam lifts ridiculous things one handed like dinosaurs and cars, but it has been a couple of decades since I saw the cartoons. :)

1684353519317.png

My point was, "club" is a very non-descriptive term. Great Club, sure, we get that. But club seems to commonly (outside D&D) be used to describe anything from a rolling pin to a giant's great club.

And in 5e D&D a club is about 2 lbs. and suitable for two weapon fighting while a greatclub is about 10 lbs. and requires two hands.

Outside of D&D greatclub is not really a term.

Given those parameters I think a D&D club is more like a belaying pin, billy club, night stick, or baton while most things we think of primarily as a club for a term outside of D&D would be a D&D greatclub. For a light two weapon fighting club we get:

1684354021632.png

Baseball bats are two pounds so they would count as 5e clubs and since clubs are light weapons you can do

View attachment 285294
Baseball bats aren't clubs. They're (shudder) quarterstaves. We know that because they're specifically designed to be used two-handed. They're no less than versatile.

I really don't like the terminology 5e uses for various lengths of wooden sticks intended for bludgeoning things.

Voadam

Legend
Baseball bats aren't clubs. They're (shudder) quarterstaves. We know that because they're specifically designed to be used two-handed. They're no less than versatile.

I really don't like the terminology 5e uses for various lengths of wooden sticks intended for bludgeoning things.
Quarterstaves are versatile 4 lb. bludgeoning sticks that are not light. I personally have a hard time picturing non-spear staves being wielded as weapons one handed (as opposed to being used functionally one handed as a walking stick) but that is another matter.

If you make baseball bats versatile weapons instead of light then no Casey Jones at default. If the optional Dual Wielder feat is in play which allows dual wielding non-light weapons then you could have Dual Wielder Casey Jones using two versatile sticks that are designed to be wielded two handed (baseball bats, hockey sticks, golf clubs). This sort of fits with him being fairly unique in fighting style.

I can see it.

Of course that means polearm master baseball bats though.

Remove ads