Where I try to binge-watch all of Discovery, Picard, and Strange New Worlds in Seven Days (Paramount+ Trial)

Zardnaar

Legend
We really liked the first two years of Discovery. Season 3 was interesting and had some really good stuff, but like what comes in 4, we would have preferred some different story choices. We did not like the last season as much, because we didn't like the story decision (we both thought they were well written and acted, but we would have preferred a much different story).

I liked season 3 of discovery season 4 haven't finished it. Show also had a decent pilot but it has issues. Despite the flak it gets it's easier to watch than some other trek.

Picard season one was ok/decent season 2 eh.

Currently watching Episode 2 of strange new world's liked the first episode.

Mercurius

Legend
I finished season 1 last night, so one season in two days ain't half bad.

What I liked: Had a nice epic feel, almost felt like a very long movie more than episodes. Generally solid acting, some great action sequences and effects. Felt like Star Trek, yet with some twists. The whole mycelium/tartigrade thing was cool, and I liked the nod to Paul Stamets, the real-life mushroom guru. I liked Sarek and the Admiral, and Michelle Yeoh v. 1 (see below).

What I didn't like: I missed "fun and nerdy" Star Trek. There was very little joy and wonder of discovery and big ideas (although there was a bit). Also, I didn't love any of the characters. I guess Saru was my favorite, though I found his finger-nails and feet a bit distracting. Michael Burnham was OK, but she was a bit of a Mary Sue. I didn't like Michelle Yeoh v. 2 -- she was a bit over-the-top. Finally, the Klingons - don't like the look; there's no real facial expressions other than one (prideful rage and cruelty)...they were too one-dimensional.

Overall I enjoyed it and will keep watching. Looking forward to see where they go from here.

Mercurius

Legend
I think with this weekend's sad news, you should set those aside and have a viewing of the series that started it all, in memory of Nichelle Nichols.
That is tempting, actually. I don't think I've ever watched TOS all the way through without stopping.
He's on a 7 day timed trial period, remember.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I'm on Day 5 and just the 5th episode of season 2 of Discovery. I watched the first season in two days, but then slowed down.

For whatever reason, S2 isn't holding me as much. Strange, because I like the slower pace and I love Pike. But maybe the novelty has worn off. Still enjoying it, though.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
For whatever reason, S2 isn't holding me as much. Strange, because I like the slower pace and I love Pike. But maybe the novelty has worn off. Still enjoying it, though.
I think once you get to Strange New Worlds, it will get much better. :)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
We are, I think, 3 episodes in to Strange New Worlds, and while I like it, I don't have the LOVE for it that others seem to have. Maybe I just need more time with the characters? Not sure, but it isn't quite up to the hype (which, let's face it, is a high bar). I get others don't agree. I'm ok with that.

Remove ads