• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which classes would you like to see added to D&D 5e, if any? (check all that apply)

Which class(es) would you like to see added?

• All of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Artificier

Votes: 99 43.0%
  • Alchemist

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • Duskblade (Arcane Fighter base class)

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Jester

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Knight

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Mystic

Votes: 72 31.3%
  • Ninja

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Pirate

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Prophet

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Shaman

Votes: 66 28.7%
  • Summoner

Votes: 49 21.3%
  • Warlord

Votes: 90 39.1%
  • Witch

Votes: 45 19.6%
  • None, it's perfect the way it is!

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 35 15.2%

G

Guest 6801328

That sounds like exactly the right argument for wanting the class. I mine mind "specialized and niche-y" is the foundation of why you would want to add a new class. If its not then your not really adding anything to the game and what is the point? The same thing can be said about all the base classes if you consider them with out the others. After all a sneak character designed to attack from the shadows and that only does good damage when attacking from stealth or adding another fighter is pretty niche but I have a few of friends who enjoy the niche of the rogue. I could make a similar argument about any of the base classes, it when I can't make that argument that I look at a class and think why do I need this? I could just play a ____ and do the same thing, meh. This niche, is new so there it makes me excited to try something new.

Well, I didn't mean that it's simply a niche that isn't explored, I mean it's more narrow than D&D classes. It would be like saying, "I want a class that is really, really, really good at archery, and can do all sorts of trick shots, but doesn't do anything else."

That might be fine in a game that was intended to have dozens and dozens of classes, but it doesn't feel like D&D.

Edit, An example of what I don't have interest in is the new Brute fighter sub-class which is just a cross between a monk and barbarian. If I was planning to cross class those already sure but if you have already played those the brute is not different enough to really excite me.

I can understand not liking the Brute...but Monk and Barbarian?

G

Guest 6801328

The Divine Soul fills the function of a Priest Class

Huh. You know you're right. I've never been a Sorcerer fan but I might have to try that.

EDIT: Word of Radiance + Distant Spell is kind of a cool combo.

If they did the Warlord, I wouldn't call it a Warlord, maybe Commander.

"Warden".

I know, I know...3.5 and 4.0 players think it means something else. But it's the right name.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
I voted Other because I want the Psion class, not a Mystic a Psion class, for some reason Mike Mearls hates the name Psion.

I also voted Sommoner, mostly because I like the Pathfinder Class, but they need to do something original with it, something interesting.

Artificer is obvious.

I also support a Warlord type class.
Thing is most classes I can think of fit easily as a subclass losing really nothing.

Shadowcaster class = Shadow Magic Sorcerer
Favoured Soul/Mystic = Divine Soul
Shaman = Circle of the Shepherd Druid

Maybe a True Namer class if they could get the mechanics right.

Binder class yes, never liked it as a Warlock subclass, it lost it's disturbing feel and didn't fit the type of pacts being made, permanent vs a Binders temporary pacts.

G

Guest 6801328

Shaman = Circle of the Shepherd Druid

I agree there's a some overlap between Druid and Shaman, but you must interpret "Shaman" much differently than I do.

The problem with Druid as a base class is that Wild Shape takes up a lot of the "ability budget", which doesn't leave you with a lot to play with in subclasses. It would be better if Druid itself were a subclass of Shaman.

gyor

Legend
I agree there's a some overlap between Druid and Shaman, but you must interpret "Shaman" much differently than I do.

The problem with Druid as a base class is that Wild Shape takes up a lot of the "ability budget", which doesn't leave you with a lot to play with in subclasses. It would be better if Druid itself were a subclass of Shaman.

How do you interpt Shaman then?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How do you interpt Shaman then?
I think the Druid class has more to do with Shamanism than with Classical Celtic priests (who you could argue we're Irish shamans, anyways). From Wikipedia:

"A shaman (/ˈʃɑːmən/ SHAH-men or /ˈʃeɪmən/ SHAY-mən) is someone who is regarded as having access to, and influence in, the world of benevolent and malevolent spirits, who typically enters into a trance state during a ritual, and practices divination and healing."

Easily fits a Druid, Cleric or Warlock IMO.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

A new class would need to encompass entirely new mechanics of some sort.

I'd say Engineer/Artificer/Alchemist would work as a class focused on crafting stuff to use in a fight (gadgets or potions or whatever), rather than using spells, which is sufficiently removed from all the existing classes to deserve its own class structure.

A Mystic almost seems like it could be built off of a reworked Sorcerer, but it would probably be easier to keep it separate.

Most of the others listed are pretty much just subclasses.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Well, I didn't mean that it's simply a niche that isn't explored, I mean it's more narrow than D&D classes. It would be like saying, "I want a class that is really, really, really good at archery, and can do all sorts of trick shots, but doesn't do anything else."

That might be fine in a game that was intended to have dozens and dozens of classes, but it doesn't feel like D&D.

While I see your point but we do have the arcane archer sub class so its not like we don't feed those niches. The thing is a summer would specialize by what it can summon so its too large to be a Wizard School of Summoning because of the same reasons the School of Conjuration is very underwhelming in my opinion. The biggest part of that is that it is based off of the wizard class and has so much strength in spell quantity and diversity that making them better more vestal summoners makes them supper powerful. The result is watered down summoner utility to the point where its mostly combat with a few gimmicks and a very flexible wizard spell list to fix it. Don't get me wrong, I think it is playable but most of the wizard subclasses could be expanded into there own class with subclasses and be a lot more interesting. My favorite subclass to further develop being the summoner, then you divide the sub classes by primary combat, utility, and support. They would have a little cross over but distinct roles and flavor greater than that of Wizard subclasses which rely on the HUGE flexability of the Wizard class while also being stifled by the need to balance that.

If you look at several of the classes listed by the OP or other suggestions and could see them as larger scaled version of a watered down Wizard sub class that people want to sale up to something more.

School of Abjuration ==> Actually to me is the default Wizard having defensive spells if you push any further to defense you become a Cleric.
School of Conjuration ==> Summoner
School of Divination ==> Prophet
School of Enchantment ==> "Enchantress" / beguiler / charmer / seducer / Siren
School of Evocation ==> Sorcerer
School of Illusion ==> Jester / Cleric Domain of Trickster
School of Necromancy ==> Necromancer
School of War Magic ==> Duskblade
School of Transmutation ==> Artificier
Bonus:
Druid of the Moon ==> Shaman (Arguably should have been a shaman to begin with)

You could argue sub classes cover these and the only caster class you need is wizards.... or Get rid of Arcane recovery, Spell Mastery, Signature Spells, and restrict spells to the schools, then buff up the school abilities to giver the schools greater identity, and last give them a few cross school spells similar to the Eldritch Knight so that you allow some wizard diversity but its restrained enough to make the Schools different enough to make people more happy with them. Since that is not likely to happen people want classes instead.

I can understand not liking the Brute...but Monk and Barbarian?

The bute is almost a direct copy of monks scaling damage unarmed and with "monk weapons" combine with fighters multiple attacks similar to flurry of blows and several barbarian abilities but you can wear armor. Really look and see.

Hussar

Legend
I have to admit, I ADORE Binders. My absolute favorite 3e class. The fact that you could pretty much recreate your character every day and play something different was a huge draw for me. I would love to see an official Binder class. There is a fantastic 3pp binder on DM's Guild though, so, that is good enough for me.

Remove ads