D&D 5E Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

• Keys from the Golden Vault

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • Glory of the Giants

Votes: 81 42.6%
  • The Book of Many Things

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • Phandelver Campaign

Votes: 108 56.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 120 63.2%

The only book I might pick up is the Phandelver one depending on reviews. I probably won't run it, but would like to read it since I enjoyed LMoP and the Essentials Kit material.

Loren the GM

Adventurer
Publisher
I posted earlier saying I wouldn't be buying any due to the OGL situation, but now that WotC has reversed course I will probably look at purchasing all of these.

Top of the list for me is the Phandelver campaign. I really like Lost Mines and Dragons of Icespire Peak, so am very interested to see how they expand it. Specifically, I like the idea of saving a small town and having it be a home base and a place you fight for, build relationships in, and ultimately have a vested interest in. I think Lost Mines especially had lots of good hooks, so I am curious to see if it is expanding on those, or an all new adventure surrounding the location.

The others are all in a general interest place for me. I'm always happy for more content that expands on lore, provides new monsters, and provides interesting mechanics. None of the titles stand out as must-haves that I couldn't live without, but they all seem like interesting additions to my DM'ing arsenal.

Worth a mention that Planescape was the first to reach 100 votes.

I think that is probably a reflection of the older demographic make up of these message boards.
But, as a planescape fan myself that's still pretty cool to see it so popular.

I mean, I was somewhat disappointed in Spelljammer's relative low amount of content for the price, but I knew how many pages it was when I ordered it. I'm not ecstatic about Planescape duplicating that format, but I'm still looking forward to the product on net.
The format may be the same as Spelljammer, but there's nothing to say that the page count will.

Planescape is going to be the most important one imo, as it may address the cosmology of the multiverse, and could fill in a huge gap that has been kept empty on DMsGuild, at least for lore projects.

I've had to do a lot of research and gap-bridging for the planar lore in my deity lore pamphlets - if Sigil comes into play with the opening of Planescape for the community creators, I'm going to put all my research together into an ultimate planar lore book/series.

The format may be the same as Spelljammer, but there's nothing to say that the page count will.
Personally, I wish they had followed the Spelljammer format for SotDQ but kept the same overall page count (192 in Spelljammer vs. 224 in DL). Less hassle to let players review the player facing content without risking them reading something that's not intended for them.

Maybe if Spelljammer had those extra 32 pages to flesh out the material people felt was lacking, they wouldn't have the negative view of the format.

Personally, I wish they had followed the Spelljammer format for SotDQ but kept the same overall page count (192 in Spelljammer vs. 224 in DL). Less hassle to let players review the player facing content without risking them reading something that's not intended for them.

Maybe if Spelljammer had those extra 32 pages to flesh out the material people felt was lacking, they wouldn't have the negative view of the format.

The page count is overwhelmingly the main complaint. If it had had that extra 32 pages (hopefully dedicated to example wildspace systems and more on ship movement/combat at least), there would have been far fewer complaints. Given that there will be well over a year between the releases of the products, I hope they take that feedback into consideration for Planescape...

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The page count is overwhelmingly the main complaint. If it had had that extra 32 pages (hopefully dedicated to example wildspace systems and more on ship movement/combat at least), there would be far fewer complaints. Given that there will be well over a year between the releases of the products, I hope they take that feedback into consideration for Planescape...
If they had given a rundown of example systems, and pages ofntanles.to generate random systems...thst would have been perfect for me.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
  • Heists - didn't they already do Dragon Heist? Do we really need another heist book? (my answer is... No)
  • Giants - I'm as interested as I was in the dragon book, ie not at all. I WOULD be super interested in a book for Undead and another for Aberrations
  • Deck of Many Things - I guess I'll have to get this one as it will have more character options. But... With OneD&D on the way, not sure how this is going fit in...?
  • Phandelver - YES. I have run 2 Phandelver campaigns, and my son is starting his own DM'ing career running it. I doubt they will update the levels 1-5 portion that has already been done - but I am curious about the 6+ portion of the campaign. However, it does suffer a bit from racial essentialism that 5e started with (eg. all goblins are evil) and has since moved away from. Maybe they will update the first portion of the adventure some to move away from that. For example,
    having some non-goblins in the first set of encounters or making some of them sympathetic in some way
  • Planescape - double YES. Can't wait for this - love Sigil. Would be so cool if they have at least a bit of DiTerlizzi (sp?) art

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases