Which D&D Settings Do You Play In?

Over on the right of the news page is a new poll which asks which D&D setting you currently play in. Obviously WotC has its own survey data, and we know from that that 55% of people use home-brew settings, 35% play in the Realms, 5% in Greyhawk, and the remaining 5% is divided between the rest. I figured it would be fun to see how closely EN World's members track to that overall survey; how closely to we represent the official data? To that end, I've listed a number of settings. The question is what you PLAY in? It's not "what would you LIKE to play in", or "what would you like to see more support for?" -- it's what are you PLAYING in right now? I know some folks have more than one game going and they may be different settings. That's why I've allowed a choice of three in the poll. If you have four or more games in multiple settings -- well, I'm envious. I took the list from the Wikipedia page of 25 settings, so if you're mad and incensed about the list or its ordering or whatever (because Internet) blame Wikipedia! Some settings incorporate others (Kara-Tur is in the Realms, for example), but I"m keeping it simple with the top level list.

Over on the right of the news page is a new poll which asks which D&D setting you currently play in. Obviously WotC has its own survey data, and we know from that that 55% of people use home-brew settings, 35% play in the Realms, 5% in Greyhawk, and the remaining 5% is divided between the rest. I figured it would be fun to see how closely EN World's members track to that overall survey; how closely to we represent the official data? To that end, I've listed a number of settings. The question is what you PLAY in? It's not "what would you LIKE to play in", or "what would you like to see more support for?" -- it's what are you PLAYING in right now? I know some folks have more than one game going and they may be different settings. That's why I've allowed a choice of three in the poll. If you have four or more games in multiple settings -- well, I'm envious. I took the list from the Wikipedia page of 25 settings, so if you're mad and incensed about the list or its ordering or whatever (because Internet) blame Wikipedia! Some settings incorporate others (Kara-Tur is in the Realms, for example), but I"m keeping it simple with the top level list.

Here's what WotC's survey says we play (that data comes from Chris Perkin's panel at Gamehole Con). Let's see how closely we match it. The survey is on the right hand side of the news page, or it's at the top of the discussion thread, depending where/how you're viewing this.

11231702_920484238032866_618281623657537775_o.png

Ashran

Explorer
I dm a campaign that uses most published settings, all linked by either space travel (spelljamming) or planar travel. I have a player character coming for FR, one other from Mystara, still one other that is planar native (Sigil), and two from Dragonlance. So far they have travelled to Greyhawk, Dragonlance, FR, the Midnight setting and are now in Freeport. Should I vote other, or homebrew, or only planescape and spelljammer ? :)

Pjack

Explorer
For "Kingdoms of Kalahari", I'm pretty sure you mean "Kingdoms of Kalamar".

A useful piece of data would be to have separate categories for "Forgotten Realms - Adventurers League" and "Forgotten Realms". I'm curious how many people play in the Realms because it's the only legal setting for League play, and how many play because they prefer it as a setting.

Nawara

Explorer
A useful piece of data would be to have separate categories for "Forgotten Realms - Adventurers League" and "Forgotten Realms". I'm curious how many people play in the Realms because it's the only legal setting for League play, and how many play because they prefer it as a setting.

There's a third option: People who play it not because they prefer it, but because it's pretty versatile and you can tell whatever kinds of medieval fantasy stories you want. I love Eberron and Planescape, but those don't have the kind of generic appeal that FR does.

Of the generic settings, I would argue that FR is far more accessible than Greyhawk and better suited for later-edition playstyles than Mystara.

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm prepping my next game to be in Primeval Thule. Surprised it's not on the list, it being one of the handful of settings with a 5e sourcebook....

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While the proportions are not the same, the poll seems to be rending to the same Homebrew > Realms > Greyhawk > Everything Else figures.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
129 respondents and 415 votes for 3.2 votes per person.

So people are not only not following the instructions of voting for up to 3 but also apparently on average play in more than 3 different settings at once.

I bet a lot of people are playing in the Forgotten Realms but because they have some of the lore tweaked to their personal campaigns or running adventures that they created they are also checking off homebrew.

The same probably happened in WotC's survey.

Homebrew here doesn't ask for whether your adventure is homebrew, it is asking for whether your campaign setting is homebrew.

I also think that people are largely voting on what settings they like rather than what they are playing.

ccs

41st lv DM
My current games are taking place in:
●Greyhawk - player, 1e
●Golarian (sp? The PF world....) - player, PF/3x
●Homebrew - player (this game & the Golarian game alternate weeks), 5e
●Homebrew - DM, 5e

Goemoe

Explorer
While the proportions are not the same, the poll seems to be rending to the same Homebrew > Realms > Greyhawk > Everything Else figures.

Eberron isn't much behind Greyhawk but after them is a gap. I would say: Homebrew > Realms > Greyhawk > Eberron > other settings. But as many people name more than one or even more than three, it is hard to say, how useful the poll is anyway.

Remove ads

Remove ads