D&D 5E Which Magic the Gathering setting would you want added officially to D&D?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Given the available art books (and the companion plane shift docs) what else is missing, apart from setting specific adventures?

Well, I suppose maps for Zendikar and Amonkhet :) and the one for Ixalan is not very nice/clear IMHO. But what else that can't be adapted from the MM etc? (And I did upload a homemade Zendikar world map a while back :) )

I think you got the nail on the head with the "setting specific adventures." Chapter 5 of the GGtR, and Chapter 5 of Rising from the Last War, is all about genre specific Adventure generation tools. A big, big chapter like that, a big Bestiary chapter, magic items and more character creation options....AND yes, map stuff and Gazeeter material...

We're talking about a book chock full of content by that point. Necessary, no. Nice to have, yes.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I think you got the nail on the head with the "setting specific adventures." Chapter 5 of the GGtR, and Chapter 5 of Rising from the Last War, is all about genre specific Adventure generation tools. A big, big chapter like that, a big Bestiary chapter, magic items and more character creation options....AND yes, map stuff and Gazeeter material...

We're talking about a book chock full of content by that point. Necessary, no. Nice to have, yes.

The Ixalan adventure that is available free is really quite good. I'd really enjoy seeing something like that for Tarkir or even Eldraine honestly.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Given the available art books (and the companion plane shift docs) what else is missing, apart from setting specific adventures?

Well, I suppose maps for Zendikar and Amonkhet :) and the one for Ixalan is not very nice/clear IMHO. But what else that can't be adapted from the MM etc? (And I did upload a homemade Zendikar world map a while back :) )

I want a 5e Guide to Ixalan with a decent map, playable races, adventure hooks, a big list of NPCs, gazette of the different locations, new monster and NPC statblocks, and so forth.
A pronunciation guide for the mesoamerican style names would be deeply appreciated too.
All consolidated into a hardcover of equivalent size to Guildmaster’s Guide to Ravnica.

Something similar for Zendikar would be appreciated too.

As for Amonkhet, that place was actually quite easy to insert into my Dark Sun-inspired homebrew setting.
I just swapped out Nicol Bolas for my homebrew setting’s Big Bad, and turned the five gods into his champions and heralds.

Dausuul

Legend
Not sure Mirrodin as it was truly exists anymore, see New Phyrexia in my original post.
This gets at a big problem with using WotC's Magic settings as D&D worlds. For a long time, Wizards had a thing going where they would create an amazing, vivid, intricate world... and then they would drop a catastrophe on it that trashed much of that painstaking worldbuilding. Mirrodin, Tarkir, and Amonkhet were hardest hit by this--all three were changed so much that the original setting was pretty well annihilated--but Innistrad, Alara, and Zendikar also suffered from it to a lesser extent.

Plane Shift does better to focus on these worlds as they originally existed. The Shards of Alara are more interesting than Alara Reborn. Innistrad is cooler with Avacyn and Griselbrand still locked in the Helvault. The Phyrexians are an awesome enemy, but Mirrodin is a better setting. And Tarkir will always belong to the Khans as far as I'm concerned; screw Sarkhan Vol and the dragon he rode in on.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Dominaria seems like the best candidate to me. It was the MTG setting for much of the game’s history. Otaria also makes a cool setting-within-a-setting.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'd actually like to see a few of these combined into one bigger setting with distinct regions, and then published.

Shandalar would be the base, overlaid with a mashup of Dominaria, Alara, Ravnica, Lorwyn, and Zendikar in order to get a wide variety or creatures/races/etc. covering a bigger area. Specific regions would be Kamigawa, Innistrad, Amonkhet, Ixylan and maybe a few others.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Lorwyn >> Innistrad > Ixalan > Amonkhet > literally anything else > Homelands*

*I know, I know. I just couldn't resist throwing a barb at that horrible block. ;)

Dausuul

Legend
Dominaria seems like the best candidate to me. It was the MTG setting for much of the game’s history. Otaria also makes a cool setting-within-a-setting.
IMO, Dominaria is too big for a single setting book. Terisiare, Otaria, Sarpadia, and Jamuraa could each be full-fledged settings in their own right. And that's not even touching the question of which era of history to use--the Magic sets in Dominaria span a range of more than 4,000 years, from Legends and Antiquities to the modern era.

Which isn't to say they shouldn't make a Dominaria setting book. But if they do, they shouldn't stop at just one. :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
IMO, Dominaria is too big for a single setting book. Terisiare, Otaria, Sarpadia, and Jamuraa could each be full-fledged settings in their own right. And that's not even touching the question of which era of history to use--the Magic sets in Dominaria span a range of more than 4,000 years, from Legends and Antiquities to the modern era.

Which isn't to say they shouldn't make a Dominaria setting book. But if they do, they shouldn't stop at just one. :)
That’s exactly why I think it would be the best one to make a D&D setting out of ;)

Remove ads