D&D 5E Which Magic the Gathering setting would you want added officially to D&D?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
There are so many great MtG settings that it would be hard to choose one. Dominaria sounds like it would be a classic fantasy setting. I have the art book, there is a lot in there. I think it would also need a history book that lets you play during the brothers war, the ice age, maybe also check out the thran. Could even create an adventure where the players go back and stop the rise of Phyrexia.

Shards of Alara would be excellent, a whole world split into 5 each developing distinct cultures and worlds based on which of the 3 mana they have access to. I'd want there to be ways to travel between them without requiring planeswalking.

Zendikar is a setting of high adventure, it was essentially DnD in MtG with creatures that could level up and with traps and things. I think it would be cool to the point where I went through all of the old articles on the setting to but together a guide.

Theros is another setting which I've gathered up all the info I could find online to develop a mini setting. I think this would make for a great heroic setting.

Vael

Legend
I'm definitely hyped for Eldraine, looking forward to the set. And the mix of Fairy Tale and Camelot high Fantasy is definitely a draw, I could see a DnD campaign working here. But I'm interested in how a more alien plane would work. Unfortunately, WoTC has a habit of blowing up or radically altering their worlds. I'm more interested in Alara when they were separate shards. Or Mirrodin pre-New Phyrexia. Though, admittedly, a Tarkir campaign about bringing back the Khans and clans and overthrowing the Dragons would also intrigue me.

I also, have to admit, I'm intrigued at the idea of a merged Multiverse. On the MTG side, Post-Mending, it used to be that only Planeswalkers could planar travel, but the planar bridge from Kaladesh means that is no longer the case. Meanwhile, that was never the case on the DnD side, planar travel didn't need a Spark, places like Sigil exist.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Chill, Garruk, you're not yourself when you're hungry :LOL:
The trailer looks amazing by the way, though it seems everything is heading down Eldraine. I've lapsed from playing Magic, and usually just borrow my friends' cards but the hype is real.

As for Magic settings, I actually really wish if Wizards could release locations, magic items with combined bestiaries in softcover, lower page format, and have advice on how to integrate these with their already released products. That would be excellent.
Take ToA and Ixalan, you could have the Magic supplement be a 64 page softcover filled with adventure location ideas, races, a more expanded bestiary, and with lots of the magic items. Definitely like an expanded Planeshift document.

Just checked out the Eldraine trailer. I'm at a "I'm not sure" for a possible setting for D&D. I mean ginger bread people? I know its fairy tale themed. Someone mentioned Camelot so I got interested but that trailer turned me off a bit.

Dominaria, because it's still my favorite MtG setting and the theme they've chosen to return to it recently ("history matters") seems like something that D&D could also explore in fun and interesting ways.

Barring that, I'd probably choose "alternate present" Tarkir (the one where dragons still exist). I believe it would add the most to the choices we have right now. Innistrad, for example, is a great setting, but Ravenloft does the job for me. Ixalan and Kamigawa are very cool as well, but I'm fine with Maztica and Kara-Tur.

Vael

Legend
Just checked out the Eldraine trailer. I'm at a "I'm not sure" for a possible setting for D&D. I mean ginger bread people? I know its fairy tale themed. Someone mentioned Camelot so I got interested but that trailer turned me off a bit.

Eldraine = Camelot + Fairy Tales

Hopefully with a bit more Grimm, and a little less Disney and Shrek. But there is definitely some of that whimsy, which, admittedly, I think is a feature. Still, consider the Little Mermaid card:
f9358d5d-726e-43e0-a58e-4cfe7c755913.jpg

I love that flavour text. Makes the whole story of the card not just about thingamabobs.

Remove ads