D&D 5E Which Magic the Gathering setting would you want added officially to D&D?

gyor

Legend
Well, a note in a side-bar maybe, but I wouldn't bet on them even lamp-shading the similarities that much.

Innistrad is a prime material world, is the thing. It is overwhelmed by ghouls and monsters, but it is not a mystical pocket dimension like Ravenloft. It's a normal world, with people leading mundane lives, but with more vampires and Inquisitions.

Technically it's an entire Plane in it's own right.

gyor

Legend
I do agree with this, in that many of the Planes of Magic don't seem to be truly "worlds" as we think of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms. I think Dominaria is, and perhaps Theros, Ixalan or Zendikar which seem pretty big beyond what is described.

But Amonkhet, Ravnica, and other one-dimensional setting seem more like demiplanes than truly worlds on the Prime Material.

Ravnica is definately a world, being a planet sized city is it's thing. Read the early Ravnica novels, they refer to Polar Regions of the World, Oceans under the city, and more. What your read in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica is a tiny part of it.

gyor

Legend
Well, it was more a thought process on what could be done if the streams crossed rather than suggesting it.

That said, both settings could benefit from some cross pollination. In particular, Ravenloft would benefit from having areas NOT used as Darklord prisons (that is, areas not controlled or shaped by a single Darklord but instead kinda generically gothic and dark.) while Innistrad could use some of the expansion Ravenloft would bring, such areas resembling Eygpt's pyramids or southern gothic. Ideally, the two thown into a blender and poured out into a new setting would be best, but I doubt that is in the cards for any but a creative homebrewer.

As an aside; I still have a hard time envisioning MtG planes as Prime Worlds rather than some type of outer plane. Ravnica or Innistrad or such just seem too small and mono-cultural to feel like full planets akin to Oerth or Eberron, unless you go to the Star Wars school of mono-planetary geography. But as a single plane, it feels more natural to be a never-ending city or an entire land of ghouls and ghosts. YMMV, of course.

Read the original Ravnica novels, it's huge, it's gets a lot of clean water from it's Polar regions. IMHO the original Novels are way better then what came after, for example the Original Novels did not invovle that Gatewatch , it was about the Setting itself and the people that lived there.

In fact until the events of first Novels, Planeswalkers couldn't reach Ravnica at all, the original Guildpact blocked them.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Ravnica is definately a world, being a planet sized city is it's thing. Read the early Ravnica novels, they refer to Polar Regions of the World, Oceans under the city, and more. What your read in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica is a tiny part of it.

It's not really about size, it's more about how it "feels." The Nine Hells for instant are massive in scope, the Abyss possibly infinite, but they aren't on the Prime Material. They do however feel "extra-planar" in nature, as does Ravnica to a degree, like a world created long-ago by planar wizards. Ravnica has more in common with Sigil than it does Forgotten Realms.

A D&D or another fantasy TTRPG world has to be like a sandbox where lots of differents things can happen, and not only for the same characters. A fantasy franchise can have got an awesome metaplot, but to be a RPG world we need enough space for new stories with secondary characters. If after the heroes of the story save the day that world become too boring, then it is not right to be a D&D world. Kamikawa is now relatively "boring" after the kami wars because there isn't now enough factions in conflict.

My opinion is some future worlds by M:tG will be created for an easy adaptation to D&D, and this is not wrong. Maybe Eldraine, the last one, is ready to be the next.

Perfect World Entertainment, the Chinese videogame company, is working in a future MMO based in Magic. I bet they have got some ideas, new or recycled, for a new Oriental-styled world. But we have got to wait until a new OA.

gyor

Legend
A D&D or another fantasy TTRPG world has to be like a sandbox where lots of differents things can happen, and not only for the same characters. A fantasy franchise can have got an awesome metaplot, but to be a RPG world we need enough space for new stories with secondary characters. If after the heroes of the story save the day that world become too boring, then it is not right to be a D&D world. Kamikawa is now relatively "boring" after the kami wars because there isn't now enough factions in conflict.

My opinion is some future worlds by M:tG will be created for an easy adaptation to D&D, and this is not wrong. Maybe Eldraine, the last one, is ready to be the next.

Perfect World Entertainment, the Chinese videogame company, is working in a future MMO based in Magic. I bet they have got some ideas, new or recycled, for a new Oriental-styled world. But we have got to wait until a new OA.

Eldraine is absolutely ready, you have the all kinds of monsters of the Wilds, you Elves of the Wilds, you have the ruins of previous empires like the Elves that ruled humans, you have conflicits between the 5 Kingdoms, you have whatever mischief Oko and other Planewalkers bring, you have fairy-tale plotlines, you have competing nobles interests within each Kingdom, you have witches with their own plots, you have youngsters going on Quests upon adulthood, sometimes with the goal of gaining knighthood of different or even all Kingdoms, and if all else fails, you have the Questing Beast who gives out Quests.

There is major conflicit between the Wilds and the Realms and within both. Plenty of room for secrets and mysteries as well, and this is all from 1 MtG set of Cards and 1 MtG E-Novel.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eldraine is absolutely ready, you have the all kinds of monsters of the Wilds, you Elves of the Wilds, you have the ruins of previous empires like the Elves that ruled humans, you have conflicits between the 5 Kingdoms, you have whatever mischief Oko and other Planewalkers bring, you have fairy-tale plotlines, you have competing nobles interests within each Kingdom, you have witches with their own plots, you have youngsters going on Quests upon adulthood, sometimes with the goal of gaining knighthood of different or even all Kingdoms, and if all else fails, you have the Questing Beast who gives out Quests.

There is major conflicit between the Wilds and the Realms and within both. Plenty of room for secrets and mysteries as well, and this is all from 1 MtG set of Cards and 1 MtG E-Novel.

I could see oodles and oodles of solid Adventure generation tables and maps, etc. like in GGtR for Eldraine.

IT would fit in fine in 5E, but could offer a very different Fantasy genre feel.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

My feeling is that these planes need to offer a lot of hooks for DMs. The Zendikar and Innistrad books offered plenty and had very different feels. The Kaladesh and Dominaria books much less so.

I don't want to be bogged down in a ton of lore, if I wanted that I'd be happy with the FR. What I want is enticing things that get my imagination racing. What mystery lies inside those ruins? What troubles beset that remote harbor? A setting where everything is tied up in a neat bow is not very intriguing.

Remove ads