D&D 5E Which MTG Setting would you want as an official D&D Setting?

What MTG Plane would you like to have an official D&D Setting Book?

• Amonkhet

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Dominaria

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Eldraine

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Ikoria

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Innistrad

• Ixalan

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Kaladesh

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Kaldheim

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Strixhaven

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Tarkir

• Zendikar

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Some other MTG Plane

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No more MTG settings!

Votes: 22 23.9%

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
no I get that but the first two is any good setting worth its salt as they are not the real world.
Your Prime Materials generally runs on rules and logic. They have their limitations. Not being the real world is meaningless: They might be fantasy worlds, but they're specifically the equivilent of the standard regular.
a world of stories would be hell it self because people do not think about what it means, most think stories of youth or legends of older days it simply means any narrative it would look alien in ways we would want to burn as most groups of humans have collective narratives even the evil ones.
See, the thing about including any plane into the game is everything needing to be in there for a reason. You shouldn't just throw the Abyss in with no forethought, its gotta mean something. Why are you delving into a pit of chaotic evil specifically? Why is this place more important, compared to other alternatives? Planes should be telling something, hence why they're not the real D&D world.

The Feywild's a reflection of reality, so its one of the easier to use in this. Its got tons of uses. A mirror to look at reality, an even more magical place to act as a counter to a lower magic baseline reality, a hint at glories long past, a way to travel distances on the laws of stories rather than that of stories. THere's a reason D&D had tons of proto Feywilds, and even mythology itself provides several. They're your Annwns, your Avalons, your Otherworld

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
So, I missed the No more MtG settings thing, which I might have voted for. I ended up voting for Eldraine because I liked the flavor and setting from what I've seen. Other interesting ones would include Kaldheim, and Tarkir. Strixhaven is interesting too, but could be hard to make work I think, and while I like Dominaria, it doesn't really have much to offer that differs from standard D&D settings IMO.

So, I missed the No more MtG settings thing, which I might have voted for. I ended up voting for Eldraine because I liked the flavor and setting from what I've seen. Other interesting ones would include Kaldheim, and Tarkir. Strixhaven is interesting too, but could be hard to make work I think, and while I like Dominaria, it doesn't really have much to offer that differs from standard D&D settings IMO.
There is a "change vote" button.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Whichever setting Antiquities is from, and the war between Mishra and Urza.
Lo, and behold, it is already available from WotC for the low, low price of free, since 2018:

Though to get the full Campaign Setting experience, that free document is best paired with the Art of Magic the Gathering books it is a companion piece to:

Counter argument: Plane Shift Zendikar was the first one released, complete with stuff for the Eldrazi, and it pretty much leads with "Yeah, we think this is a good idea to have a D&D set from"

Now, I don't think we're going to have one, because I don't think the ones we got Plane Shifts for have much of a chance any more at getting full on books for them, but I can see absolutely no evidence suggesting that Zendikar is somehow not a good fit for D&D and somehow the Eldrazi are linked to this.
I don't think that's really a counter argument though, because quickly whizzing through some ideas isn't proof it's viable as a setting. The problem with Zendikar is that, even by MtG standards, it's barely a setting. There's no "context". And look at how they did the Eldrazi - in this completely "We have no idea how to do this!" way, where they basically just say use other monsters and apply a template (very 3E). The Eldrazi would be a huge challenge to do in any kind of proper way, not a quarter-arsed way like they did here.

They say "From the beginning, Magic’s plane of Zendikar was conceived as an “adventure world” where parties of explorers delve into ancient ruins in search of wonders and treasures, fighting the monsters they encounter on the way."

I agree. Ironically, that's why it doesn't work. Because what stuff needs is context. It's a setting so focused on this vague, high-concept idea of "adventure world" (which is exactly how I would have described it too), that they didn't bother to actually make it a real place, unlike a lot of MtG settings. It's basically "Earthdawn done wrong". It's like a vast exaggeration of Earthdawn (because MtG has had an unfortunate habit of needing to exaggerate, to meaninglessly up the stakes, and so on), even the Eldrazi match up to the Horrors pretty well, but it has none of the character of Earthdawn, and setting is not one you can really engage with in the same way.

I agree that nothing that got a Plane Shift is particularly likely to get a full setting of course.

Whichever setting Antiquities is from, and the war between Mishra and Urza.

That's Dominaria, which hasn't been central to the game in well over a decade.

I don't think that would work very well. First, with the exception of a single set in 2018 named Dominaria, the game hasn't been set on that plane since 2006-2007 (Time Spiral block). The last set in that block, Planar Chaos, was the 43rd Magic expansion set. The current set, Strixhaven, is the 87th Magic expansion set.

Second, Dominaria is more heavily damaged than Toril is. Since all the three set blocks Magic ever produced have the exact same narrative: Set 1 - introduce status quo, Set 2 - plane is set up for total annihilation, Set 3 - plane is completely unrecognizable from Set 1's status quo. (It's super lazy writing and it's one reason I'm glad they abandoned block storytelling.) This happened about... eight to ten times to Dominaria before the end of Time Spiral block? Everything from artifacts nuking all magic (Antiquities) to rapid climate change (Ice Age) to multiple extraplanar/fiendish invasions (Slivers and Phyrexians) to time itself nearly unravelling before remaking the nature of magic in the multiverse (Time Spiral). Each block represents a different time and, aside from the names of place, are basically not recognizable from each other.

Imagine you were creating a setting book for DC comics. Do you go with golden age, silver age, pre-crisis/bronze, post-crisis, infinite crisis, new 52, etc., knowing that your fan base will have different desires? Your choice is to make a 600 page book nobody can afford, or a 200 page book that doesn't satisfy anybody, or three 200 page books that will all sell terribly.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That's Dominaria, which hasn't been central to the game in well over a decade.

I don't think that would work very well. First, with the exception of a single set in 2018 named Dominaria, the game hasn't been set on that plane since 2006-2007 (Time Spiral block). The last set in that block, Planar Chaos, was the 43rd Magic expansion set. The current set, Strixhaven, is the 87th Magic expansion set.

The question was "What MTG Plane would you like to have an official D&D Setting Book?"

I answered the question honestly.

If you don't want it or think it would not be popular that's fine but remains irrelevant to my answer.

Truly, I am getting tired of the badwrongfun views from people.

Remove ads