D&D 5E Which Non-Classic/Magic Settings Would You like to see WotC Publish?

Undrave

Legend
that reminds me I was going to cannibalise the blue mage concept to bulk up a psion subclass.
FFTA2 also has the Green Mage you specializes in status condition, the Animist who is like a Ranger/Druid thing that uses Instruments (one of their biggest contribution is 'Count Sheep', a sleep spell, and the ability to heal others), and the Elementalist with her single target status effect + Elemental damage combo.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
FFTA2 also has the Green Mage you specializes in status condition, the Animist who is like a Ranger/Druid thing that uses Instruments (one of their biggest contribution is 'Count Sheep', a sleep spell, and the ability to heal others), and the Elementalist with her single target status effect + Elemental damage combo.
look my blue mage psion was also going to be able to pull off the line"your soul is mine" to explain how it gets those abilities.

green mage sounds interesting what lore did it have?

the animist sounds like a less conceptually crazy druid or that 4e primal leader/support class.

Elementalist is just most blaster mages in games because just random magic damage is terrible for the head and visual space.

Undrave

Legend
look my blue mage psion was also going to be able to pull off the line"your soul is mine" to explain how it gets those abilities.

green mage sounds interesting what lore did it have?

the animist sounds like a less conceptually crazy druid or that 4e primal leader/support class.

Elementalist is just most blaster mages in games because just random magic damage is terrible for the head and visual space.
I don't know if Green Mage had much lore, but its a good ability to pair with White Magic.

Animist in Japan were called 'Animal Tamer'.

The really fun thing about Elementalist is that they used rapiers as a weapon, so they were kind of a Gish class, and their abilities were mostly single target so you could deal a bit of damage alongside useful status condition without having to worry about where you allies were. They were excellent as a tactical RPG class.

Mind of tempest

I don't know if Green Mage had much lore, but its a good ability to pair with White Magic.

Animist in Japan were called 'Animal Tamer'.

The really fun thing about Elementalist is that they used rapiers as a weapon, so they were kind of a Gish class, and their abilities were mostly single target so you could deal a bit of damage alongside useful status condition without having to worry about where you allies were. They were excellent as a tactical RPG class.
interesting, did green mage show up in any other games?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
interesting, did green mage show up in any other games?
Green magick is also a specialization in FFXII Esper Genesis. Green magick is also available in older FFs.

Despite what we usually understand as ''green'' in D&D terms (nature magic), Green magick in FF is ''status effect magic'', along side Red (generally Time magick + gish spells and non-elemental damage spells), Blue (mimicking enemies ability), Black (elemental damage) and White (cure and some holy damage spells).

Rikka66

Adventurer
Most games don't have green magic as a separate category, and they'll throw the spells under another group. The Ff12 remake even removed the category and sent the spells into other ones.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
articulate them.

note I am not trying to antagonise just cut through the conversation to its end.
Look at the Theros product description. Greatly expanded piety rules, new races, Greco-Roman monsters, new subclasses, races and a background to allow a Helenistic D&D game. It's basically an expanded 5E version of the 2E Age of Heroes book, with the Theros setting in there as an example of how to make it work.

A Dark Sun setting book would likely be something very comparable.

Mind of tempest

Green magick is also a specialization in FFXII Esper Genesis. Green magick is also available in older FFs.

Despite what we usually understand as ''green'' in D&D terms (nature magic), Green magick in FF is ''status effect magic'', along side Red (generally Time magick + gish spells and non-elemental damage spells), Blue (mimicking enemies ability), Black (elemental damage) and White (cure and some holy damage spells).
can you further explain how they work as this sounds interesting?
Look at the Theros product description. Greatly expanded piety rules, new races, Greco-Roman monsters, new subclasses, races and a background to allow a Helenistic D&D game. It's basically an expanded 5E version of the 2E Age of Heroes book, with the Theros setting in there as an example of how to make it work.

A Dark Sun setting book would likely be something very comparable.
true but that is a single setting and also a classic setting so kinda not relevant here.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
can you further explain how they work as this sounds interesting?
Sure.

This site mostly cover the basic ideas: Final Fantasy XII magicks

(In the case of FFXII, what we usually see as ''red magick'' are split into Time and Arcane magicks. )

Green: Shield, Globe of invulnerability, resilient sphere, absord element, sleep, silence, blind, Augment Abilities, grease.

Red: Haste, Slow, expeditious retreat, elemental weapon, magic weapon, mirror image, confusion, mislead, enervation, disintegration.

Black: Burning hands, fireball, lightning bolt, cone of cold, gust of wind, tsunami, whirlwind.

White: Cure wounds, dawn, restoration, regeneration, raise dead.

Others:

Blue: gain monsters traits from the MM or innate spells in a way resembling the warlock's Invocations.

Geomancer/Animist: A weird one. Imagine a Land druid (druid spell list + varying spell list depending on the terrain), using bard instrument as focus, + the ranger's favored terrain trait.

Astromancer/Oracle: Closer to a Diviner + Divine soul sorcerer. Oracles have more Radiant-blasting spells.

Summoner: Pet-class and summon spells.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases