D&D 5E Which Non-Classic/Magic Settings Would You like to see WotC Publish?

Part of the problem with WotC releasing settings which are not classic is the licensing. It's difficult to take someone else's IP, give it your own spin, and sell it to both the creator of that IP (or their estate), the existing audience, and a new audience. That's why WotC is content with releasing MtG as a campaign setting. They get to cut out the IP part and just treat it as product release to draw in new players from a different market. Having said that, I'd like to see some classic fantasy or scifi from decades ago, not mentioned, turned into campaign settings.

Movies:
Dark Crystal - a completely different setting as it doesn't have any of the standard races. The Skeksis are like the Nagpa in 5e.
Krull - could easily be a Spelljammer setting
The Beastmaster - swords and sorcery still has its place
Treasure Planet - the style and aesthetics of an Eberron Spelljammer

Books:
Fred Saberhagen's Empire of the East and The Book of Lost Swords series: it's like Gamma World meets DnD, swords, sorcery, and ancient high tech wonders.
Princess of Mars - Steampunk Spelljammer full of monsters, alien empires, and strange places.

Kodiak3D

Explorer
I didn't see this idea pitched yet...
skycraft.jpg

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Sure.

This site mostly cover the basic ideas: Final Fantasy XII magicks

(In the case of FFXII, what we usually see as ''red magick'' are split into Time and Arcane magicks. )

Green: Shield, Globe of invulnerability, resilient sphere, absord element, sleep, silence, blind, Augment Abilities, grease.

Red: Haste, Slow, expeditious retreat, elemental weapon, magic weapon, mirror image, confusion, mislead, enervation, disintegration.

Black: Burning hands, fireball, lightning bolt, cone of cold, gust of wind, tsunami, whirlwind.

White: Cure wounds, dawn, restoration, regeneration, raise dead.

Others:

Blue: gain monsters traits from the MM or innate spells in a way resembling the warlock's Invocations.

Geomancer/Animist: A weird one. Imagine a Land druid (druid spell list + varying spell list depending on the terrain), using bard instrument as focus, + the ranger's favored terrain trait.

Astromancer/Oracle: Closer to a Diviner + Divine soul sorcerer. Oracles have more Radiant-blasting spells.

Summoner: Pet-class and summon spells.
that is a surprisingly broad set of casters with no divine backing might have to look into stealing a build of bits of it.
Part of the problem with WotC releasing settings which are not classic is the licensing. It's difficult to take someone else's IP, give it your own spin, and sell it to both the creator of that IP (or their estate), the existing audience, and a new audience. That's why WotC is content with releasing MtG as a campaign setting. They get to cut out the IP part and just treat it as product release to draw in new players from a different market. Having said that, I'd like to see some classic fantasy or scifi from decades ago, not mentioned, turned into campaign settings.

Movies:
Dark Crystal - a completely different setting as it doesn't have any of the standard races. The Skeksis are like the Nagpa in 5e.
Krull - could easily be a Spelljammer setting
The Beastmaster - swords and sorcery still has its place
Treasure Planet - the style and aesthetics of an Eberron Spelljammer

Books:
Fred Saberhagen's Empire of the East and The Book of Lost Swords series: it's like Gamma World meets DnD, swords, sorcery, and ancient high tech wonders.
Princess of Mars - Steampunk Spelljammer full of monsters, alien empires, and strange places.
John Carter of Mars is from the genre of planetary romance (descended from Chivalric Romance so not really romantic) I have considered doing a neo planetary romance setting with a lot of gonzo but sufficient grounding to make it all work.

John Carter of Mars is from the genre of planetary romance (descended from Chivalric Romance so not really romantic) I have considered doing a neo planetary romance setting with a lot of gonzo but sufficient grounding to make it all work.
I hesitated to mention it because there's an RPG called Space 1889 which is Steampunk Space, but 1889 has the wonky 1980s feeling to it. However, the John Carter series by Burroughs is very different and hasn't been explored as far as campaign settings. I think it would do well.

Mind of tempest

I hesitated to mention it because there's an RPG called Space 1889 which is Steampunk Space, but 1889 has the wonky 1980s feeling to it. However, the John Carter series by Burroughs is very different and hasn't been explored as far as campaign settings. I think it would do well.
something more designed to pull from the genre with mixing in Dnd and other things in an inhabited solar system could do well, but the series itself is limited in how much DND you could play with it.

BRayne

Adventurer
After Exandria(Critical Role) and Acquisition Inc.... do you thing any setting from any game-live steaming show would possible?

So the next Actual Play up popularity wise would be The Adventure Zone podcast which has three D&D campaigns (kinda) so far. Balance, which was the first and most popular of the three having a series of graphic novels, a board game (designed by Keith Baker!), and an animated pilot ordered by Peacock, is to my understanding a heavily modified Forgotten Realms with a predominant quest giving organization which may run too close to Acquisitions Inc conceptually to be done by WotC but maybe doable. Their second and recently concluded D&D campaign, Graduation, has some interesting concepts that could be built upon for a book with some support, but may not be worth the effort given it's rather poor reception. Their newest campaign, Ethersea, might be interesting enough to adapt but is still in the very early stages having not even begun in earnest (they are currently playing The Quiet Year to help build out the setting).

The show after that, Dimension 20, would pose some complications in collaboration due to their creative director being Orion Black. However if that could be handled they also have 3 settings to choose from: Fantasy High (setting name: Spyre), which has a fairly kitchen sink high fantasy world with one nation having higher levels of 'magitech" and a School for Adventurers within. The Unsleeping City, which is ultimately just an Urban Fantasy New York, but if WotC wants to do something in the vein of d20 modern 5e would be worth looking at. And A Crown of Candy (setting name: Calorum) which while having a lot of potential interest in it's worldbuilding might be a bit too tonally dissonant to sell widely outside of established fans being a Game of Thrones style world of political intrigue but also everything and everyone is food in a Candyland style. The DM of the show, Brennan Lee Mulligan, has also voiced his preference would be to adapt the setting used in his home games if given the opportunity.

There's a whole John Carter RPG that's ridiculously faithful to the books:

Mind of tempest

So the next Actual Play up popularity wise would be The Adventure Zone podcast which has three D&D campaigns (kinda) so far. Balance, which was the first and most popular of the three having a series of graphic novels, a board game (designed by Keith Baker!), and an animated pilot ordered by Peacock, is to my understanding a heavily modified Forgotten Realms with a predominant quest giving organization which may run too close to Acquisitions Inc conceptually to be done by WotC but maybe doable. Their second and recently concluded D&D campaign, Graduation, has some interesting concepts that could be built upon for a book with some support, but may not be worth the effort given it's rather poor reception. Their newest campaign, Ethersea, might be interesting enough to adapt but is still in the very early stages having not even begun in earnest (they are currently playing The Quiet Year to help build out the setting).

The show after that, Dimension 20, would pose some complications in collaboration due to their creative director being Orion Black. However if that could be handled they also have 3 settings to choose from: Fantasy High (setting name: Spyre), which has a fairly kitchen sink high fantasy world with one nation having higher levels of 'magitech" and a School for Adventurers within. The Unsleeping City, which is ultimately just an Urban Fantasy New York, but if WotC wants to do something in the vein of d20 modern 5e would be worth looking at. And A Crown of Candy (setting name: Calorum) which while having a lot of potential interest in it's worldbuilding might be a bit too tonally dissonant to sell widely outside of established fans being a Game of Thrones style world of political intrigue but also everything and everyone is food in a Candyland style. The DM of the show, Brennan Lee Mulligan, has also voiced his preference would be to adapt the setting used in his home games if given the opportunity.
define this orion and why they are an obstacle?
There's a whole John Carter RPG that's ridiculously faithful to the books:

thus my idea of a more general one with less past brand in the way of making a good DnD setting.

Remove ads