Which non-D&D fantasy RPG do you currently play?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Really curious about WotA after quickly googling it. Does it use a mix of Fate Core and Accelarated? How crunchy is it?
Its based on Fate Core with modifications to suit the genre. Being technically GM less it is very structured and has many aspects that feel boardgamey in its approach. That includes the setting which is also tightly linked to the rules with the Empire as the main antagonist and 5 potential allies available each with usable resources and a challenges. In effect it also makes heavy use of the “create an advantage” action to create Campaign and Scene Aspects which feel like resource cards to be used throughout the game.

Each game session is taken to cover one season in the year and there are three parts to a session 1Domain Management (Harvesting Resources, Developing Tech etc) 2 Doing a Mission and 3 Dealing with the Autarchs schemes
Missions (Challenges and Autarch Conflicts) are set scenarios oovering diplomacy, infiltration, skirmish, warfare. Players choose characters to undertake the missions. Challenges in particular allow PCs the narrative control which makes it an RPG, Conflicts are more tactical.

I enjoyed it, though we muddled through initially. Its a cool approach if you like Domain Management style play, I kept thinking of ways to adapt it so players could run different factions rather than all being Stronghold v Autarch

Last edited:

dbm

Savage!
I’m currently running an Eberron campaign using a lightly house-ruled Savage Worlds Adventure Edition. SWADE is super-easy to tailor to specific implementations. Some new races and edges, a small number of new spells.

I backed Savage Pathfinder and the WIP rules are available to backers; it looks really promising and I will probably run that sometime this year, too.

My last fantasy game before that was GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. SWADE and GURPS share many strengths in my opinion, being flexible in campaign support and fun at the table. The key difference is that SWADE is a bit more pulp and fuzzy, whilst GURPS is a bit more gritty and sharply defined.

The key difference is that SWADE is a bit more pulp and fuzzy, whilst GURPS is a bit more gritty and sharply defined.
I dunno how GURPS is these days, but compared to '90s and early '00 editions of GURPS, SWADE is also much more accessible rules-wise, easier to work with as a DM, and a lot harder to "break".

dbm

Savage!
The way I would describe it is that GURPS 4e is a tightly engineered game. Whilst that is a positive in many ways it also means that if you push here it can have unexpected and undesirable effects there. Balancing the changes can be tricky and time consuming.

SWADE by comparison is loosely coupled, so you can make more changes to a part of the system with little or no impact elsewhere.

MarkB

Legend
We just wound up our nearly year-long Blades in the Dark campaign last week. Our gang of thieves progressed all the way up to the top tier, and we wound up battling Lord Scurlock in a Spirit Well in the Iruvian desert with the fate of the world at stake.

The way I would describe it is that GURPS 4e is a tightly engineered game. Whilst that is a positive in many ways it also means that if you push here it can have unexpected and undesirable effects there. Balancing the changes can be tricky and time consuming.
That depends on what you're trying to modify. The combat system is, indeed, tightly engineered, although significant parts of it are optional. The magic systems are much easier to modify, as are social interactions, equipment, and skills.

Hex08

Hero
I primarily run Savage Worlds using my own homebrew fantasy setting although I do own a few published fantasy settings and for my next game I want to try Blades in the Dark. When I want to play something D&D like I will run Castles & Crusades. One of my players decided to take over the GM duties for Pathfinder since I got burned out on running it.

To be fair, I haven't played the actual D&D game since 4th edition launched other than a few sessions in a co-worker's 5E campaign. I went right from 3.5 to Pathfinder with little excursions into other games (Castles & Crusades, Call of Cthulhu, World of Darkness and some others) to break the monotony. After playing D&D 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder as my primary games since 3.0 launched until I finally got tired of it a couple of years ago and, at least as a GM, have moved on for the foreseeable future and I have little desire to return to D&D.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases