• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which of these games have you been wanting to play?

Which of the following games (if any) would you like to play?

• All Flesh Must Be Eaten

Votes: 104 21.7%
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Votes: 88 18.3%
  • Call of Cthulhu 6e

Votes: 190 39.6%
  • Castles & Crusades

Votes: 131 27.3%
  • Conan

Votes: 150 31.3%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5

Votes: 337 70.2%
  • d20 Modern

Votes: 192 40.0%
  • d20 Modern: Future

Votes: 182 37.9%
  • d20 Modern: Urban Arcana

Votes: 125 26.0%
  • Exalted 2e

Votes: 82 17.1%
  • GURPS Fantasy 4e

Votes: 68 14.2%
  • GURPS Powers 4e

Votes: 32 6.7%
  • HackMaster

Votes: 99 20.6%
  • HōL

Votes: 23 4.8%
  • Iron Kingdoms

Votes: 154 32.1%
  • Legend of the Five Rings 3e

Votes: 79 16.5%
  • Mage: The Awakening

Votes: 80 16.7%
  • Mutants & Masterminds 2e

Votes: 205 42.7%
  • Paranoia XP

Votes: 135 28.1%
  • Pendragon

Votes: 73 15.2%
  • Shadowrun 4e

Votes: 155 32.3%
  • Starship Troopers

Votes: 49 10.2%
  • Transhuman Space

Votes: 41 8.5%
  • Vampire: The Requiem

Votes: 80 16.7%
  • Warhammer FRP 2e

Votes: 128 26.7%
  • Werewolf: The Forsaken

Votes: 60 12.5%
  • WitchCraft

Votes: 39 8.1%

• Poll closed .

Pants

First Post
I'd play:
D&D 3.5
Conan
WHFRP
M&M2e
d20 Modern/Future/Urban Arcana
Iron Kingdoms
Paranoia XP
Vampire
Werewolf

Most of these I've never played, so I'm always up for something new.

D20 Dark Matter for D20 Modern is missing.

Anyway, D20 Modern, but not Future or Urban Arcana.
DnD.
Iron Heroes.
Paranoia XP. (Those old tales hang around. Head-mounted rocket launcher!)
Maybe Shadowrun ... good setting, but the rules just don't agree with me. (I didn't click on it.)

Last edited:

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
You might want to post this poll on rpg.net, tool, since many of the games you listed are fairly niche and more likely to have been played there. Of course, you'll get the runaway Exalted votes there like you have runaway D&D votes here. ;)

SWBaxter

First Post
I voted Pendragon, as the only game on the list I haven't played but would like to. There's lots of other great games on that list, but I've played 'em (and own most of them).

If you're looking to pick up a Glorantha game, IMHO HeroQuest is head and shoulders better than RuneQuest, YMMV. All the BRP incarnations of RQ, including Mongoose's, strike me as better for D&D-style adventuring-lifestyle fantasy than the kind of mythic experience Glorantha's reams of background are supposed to generate. If I were to give Mongoose's RQ a try it'd be in a different setting, but I've actually already got a BRP-based fantasy game of my own creation (with healthy quantities stolen from Magic World) so it doesn't hold that much interest for me. I am looking forward to the Deluxe BRP/d100 System/whatever Chaosium's calling it these days, which apparently has a shot at making it out by Christmas.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
SWBaxter said:
If you're looking to pick up a Glorantha game, IMHO HeroQuest is head and shoulders better than RuneQuest, YMMV. All the BRP incarnations of RQ, including Mongoose's, strike me as better for D&D-style adventuring-lifestyle fantasy than the kind of mythic experience Glorantha's reams of background are supposed to generate. If I were to give Mongoose's RQ a try it'd be in a different setting, but I've actually already got a BRP-based fantasy game of my own creation (with healthy quantities stolen from Magic World) so it doesn't hold that much interest for me. I am looking forward to the Deluxe BRP/d100 System/whatever Chaosium's calling it these days, which apparently has a shot at making it out by Christmas.

Just out of curiosity, what game system did you first play Glorantha with?

Because the vision of the setting I have (having read and briefly played older versions of Runequest before ever seeing the Gloranthan Heroquest) was not at all served by Heroquest, though the latter is a very interesting game.

SWBaxter

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
Just out of curiosity, what game system did you first play Glorantha with?

RuneQuest, whichever version was current around 1985. Think that was the second edition, but it wasn't my rulebook so I'm not sure.

Because the vision of the setting I have (having read and briefly played older versions of Runequest before ever seeing the Gloranthan Heroquest) was not at all served by Heroquest, though the latter is a very interesting game.

YMMV, but I was always impressed by the mythic high-fantasy approach in all the background material, and kinda bummed that the game played so differently than it read. HQ, IMHO, does a much better job of capturing that mythic feel, making it possible to play the stuff Stafford writes. It's quite possible to play in Glorantha without invoking that feel, but really that's not enormously different from using Greyhawk or Harn, etc., hence why I think Mongoose's RQ is better as a generic fantasy game.

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
I only chose games I've not yet played, or at least not in their current incarnations.

My list:

CoC6e - I've not yet had a chance to run BRP-based CoC (just the hated d20 version), I only own the 5e book, and I've never had a chance to play CoC at all. One of the guys in my group is a BRP/CoC/RuneQuest fan from way back, though, so hopefully I'll get a chance sometime soon.

C&C - Just to see what all the hype's about. (I'm a big fan of "rules-y" d20, but that doesn't mean I couldn't get down with a rules-lite system, for a change.)

D&D3.5 - Similarly, while I've house-ruled in plenty of stuff from the 3.5 SRD in my 3.0 game (skill uses and DCs, mainly) I've never actually played a game with the 3.5 core rules.

d20 Modern (all three flavors) - One of the guys I work with is a big fan of d20 Modern, and we brainstorm on ideas for our respective campaigns. From what little I know of it, it sounds like a good time.

HackMaster - I waste him with my crossbow! Seriously, I have the feeling that I will quickly become addicted to this game if I touch it. I'm fascinated by the 1e feel and the Garweeze Wurld setting. Possibly one of my next RPG purchases.

Paranoia XP - I've always been curious, I'm definitely a conspiracy guy - After all, you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you. ;)

Shadowrun 4e - The internet Shadowrun community seems to be sharply divided on the new ruleset (gee, wonder what that's like? ;) ), and from what I know of it the 3e task resolution system seems more to my taste, but my resident Shadowrun GM has looked it over, and he's converting his on-again, off-again campaign over to 4e - so I guess I'll find out the hard way. (Like there's another way in Shadowrun.)

Warhammer FRP - Didn't actually check this one, and I'm not quite sure why - I'm a GW fan (the sc-fi stuff, mainly, but still), and the dark style (at least from the early '90s stuff that I've read) would be right up my alley. I remember this one being big at the Gamer's Guild back when I first got into the hobby, but I never tried it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads