Which of these is the optimal distance of measurement for your TTRPG enjoyment?

Which of these do you prefer/use?

• Feet

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Yards (3 feet)

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Meters (100 centimeters or 39 inches and some change)

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Cubits (17-19 inches, or as I like to say, 18 inches)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other, please elaborate

Votes: 25 31.6%

Slit518

Adventurer
Let's discuss what our preferred unit of measurement is when it comes to distance at the TTRPG table.

It seems a lot of TTRPGs use Feet or Meters (perhaps for good reason).

But, what unit of measurement would you prefer?

It might be harder if you never used a particular measurement before, or perhaps one would intrigue you to try.

Click all options that apply. So if you would use more than one unit of measurement, let us know with your vote.

This is for research purposes. Feel free to discuss the topic below. And thank you for your participation!

Darth Solo

Explorer
I, like so many of those in this hobby, prefer Palms. They're the only truly distinctive means of calculating space without employing a calculator.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This. Divorce it from real world measurements.
I say just the opposite. Precision in measurement is vital to argument avoidance, as the difference between being 9 feet away and 11 feet away from that 10-foot-radius blast can sometimes be the difference between a PC's life and death.
You can pair it by saying squares or hexes, but let the table decide what one square or hex means. This allows more freedom at the table and one to have a choice between mini play and TotM.
Even using TotM it's handy to use frames of reference everyone can easily relate to. It's the same reason I moved away from 1e "turns" in favour of just saying those times in tens of minutes: we all know what a minute is, and now I can fine-tune things like spell durations if I want to, e.g. 7 minutes/level or 12 minutes/level, rather than always being stuck at ten.

Also, squares aren't nearly granular enough for a lot of applications; hexes even less so. With a real-world measurement system you can easily get as granular as needed for the situation.

Remove ads