D&D 5E Which played-out D&D trope needs to die?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Seriously.

Dragons don't do enough in Dungeons and Dragons.

It's a shame that editions can be over 2 years old without an official dragon book and it is seen as acceptable.

How is there chapters in the DMG to run dungeons but not a chapter in the MM on just running dragons, dragon liars, dragon politics, and dragon lead settlements (by race).

S'mon

Legend
I'm talking stuff like "rangers suck" or "bards are always horny." I'm talking plots like rescuing the princess, meeting your evil twin, or finding out that it was all a dream. Sure these things can be done well, but they also tend to elicit an immediate eye-roll when they come up. So before you attack your keyboard with "I did THING in my game, and it was the best THING ever," remember that this is more about pet-peeves than never-do-this-under-any-circumstance.

So how about about it? Which played-out D&D trope needs to die?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)

I'm a big fan of tropes. I guess any ALWAYS tropes, I would tend to be against - maybe the bard's asexual, maybe the princess rescues the good dragon from the evil knight - maybe it wasn't all a dream. I loved the recent The Suicide Squad film, which did a great job playing around with tropes, both using and subverting.

If I think I've over used something in the past, I may tend to avoid it for a while, or think of a new twist on it. But stock characters and situations definitely have their place, too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases