D&D General Which Previous Edition (poll; read OP)

Which previous edition

• OD&D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • B/X

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • BECMI

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • AD&D1E

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • AD&D2E

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • 3.0 D&D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 3.5 D&D (inc. PF1E)

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • 4E pre Essentials

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • 4E Essentials

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • None: I wouldn't play a previous edition campaign

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Other: I'm a special snowflake

Votes: 8 4.3%

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I would love to play a 4E campaign, but only on a VTT
Yeah, 4e really benefits from having a tabletop, virtual or otherwise. It's really sad it never got the proposed first-party VTT--if they had integrated the rules into a really solid, flexible VTT, many of the issues with forgetting modifiers or actions etc. would've been eliminated automatically by the computer.

I voted 4e pre-Essentials simply because those are the books I already own. I’d play Essentials just as readily.

Also 13th Age or PF2 would easily win if those were options.
I would be curious to see how those numbers stack up, yeah, but those are theoretically "current" games rather than "past edition" games, so it's not quite in the spirit of the poll.

3e/3.5e/PF1 is starting to catch up to where I expected it to be, it's within spitting distance of "original" 4e now. Some of my intuitions are coming true! But I'm still quite surprised that 4e continues to grow; it's now at 50 votes, making it essentially a third of all votes on this poll (32.2%).

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
Voted 1E.
I’m already playing or running three 5E games face-to-face and playing in two awesome online games, one in Level Up and one in WFRP, so I’d have the luxury of trying something “old-new”.
My memories of 3E are fairly recent so I’d love to stroke the grey cat of nostalgia and play 1E again.

Oofta

Legend
Reading some of these, it's odd. I don't remember older (pre 4E) games being that inconsistent. Is it because my memory has faded, because we just spackled over the issues perhaps without realizing it? 🤔

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
If I could get my old CBLoader running again, I'd do 4E Essentials in a heartbeat.

But with that said, I'm currently playing a 3.5 everything from WotC in adventure and we're reaching the point where 3E breaks under the weight of all the options.

GreyLord

Legend
I did not expect the results I'm seeing.

Same.

I thought 5e would easily be the winner (and who knows, it may still be in the very long run if people continue to vote) but as it wasn't a choice, then other (or none) would be it...

Instead, currently it looks like over 50% prefer either 3.5 or 4e.

I chose BECMI myself.

BX would be fun too though, but you can only choose one choice....

However, 3.5 and 4e are the ones with the majority. The only other option people chose that CURRENTLY has more than 10% of people choosing it appears to be AD&D 2e.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I thought 5e would easily be the winner (and who knows, it may still be in the very long run if people continue to vote) but as it wasn't a choice, then other (or none) would be it...
I don't think this particular result is surprising at all. It would basically be a statement that the respondent wouldn't play an older edition of D&D given an opportunity to do so. It's not that 5e isn't a or even the preferred edition among people responding, in my case at least it is, but like other respondents, I'm also willing to play at least some previous editions of D&D as well (given the opportunity).

Remove ads