D&D 5E Which three classic settings do you think WotC will publish in 2022-23? (Fixed)

Pick three and only three

• Planescape

Votes: 108 71.5%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Forgotten Realms (Faerun)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Beyond Faerun (Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc)

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Pelinore

• Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Fist

• Rokugan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other non-D&D setting (e.g. Gamma World, etc)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Don't Care/Whatever

Votes: 3 2.0%

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Winninger has clarified on Twitter that the revisit is a 2024 product, separate from the 2 new classic Ssttings in 2022 and 1 in 2023. The timing of 2024 suggests to me that the revisit may be Greyhawk, revisiting after Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

Can I see the tweet? I didn't know it was 2024, if it is that far out I indeed could see it as either FR or Greyhawk. I too may lean on it being Greyhawk, as that is the 50th Anniversary, and Greyhawk is D&D's first setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Planescape isn't just Sigil, it's also the entirety of the Outer Planes, Outlands, etc. But I agree, I don't think they meant Avernus for revisiting.
In terms of what a Setting would cover, Sigil would be the focus. The Planes are part of all Settigns, though Sigil interacts with them more directly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Can I see the tweet? I didn't know it was 2024, if it is that far out I indeed could see it as either FR or Greyhawk. I too may lean on it being Greyhawk, as that is the 50th Anniversary, and Greyhawk is D&D's first setting.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It&#39;s different. Two classic settings next year and a third in 2023, none of which were covered by previous 5E products. We&#39;re looking at &quot;revisiting&quot; a setting in 2024.</p>&mdash; WinningerR (@WinningerR) <a href="">September 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Urriak Uruk

Alot of AFR's art is none regional at all, hence why it's being used in MP: MotM. Obviously so new art will need to be done for a new setting book, although given the new Intel, we are looking at a 2024 date, likely to tie into 5.5e (FR always gets a new setting book with a new edition), so they have plenty of time for new art or even more MtG sets.

My point is exactly that; AFR's art isn't regional at all, so using it as indicating a setting is more likely doesn't make sense.

Now that it has been clarified the revisit setting is in 2024 (not one of the 3 classic settings), I agree that makes a lot of sense for FR. Although Greyhawk could be a spoiler candidate, as it is the 50th Anniversary, and Greyhawk is D&D's first setting.

Sigil didn't show up in that Adventure.
Neither did the City of Greyhawk in Saltmarsh.

Granted, we're all basically moving around 10 pieces in a 1000 piece puzzle without the picture, so going by the drips of info we have were just amusing ourselves with the guessing games at this point...

(And I've always leaned a bit towards "revisiting" meaning going back to a setting with an actual setting book and not just a setting in books that are mainly adventures. That would solely be SCAG at this point. But the wording is frustratingly vague, presumably on purpose)...

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

In terms of what a Setting would cover, Sigil would be the focus. The Planes are part of all Settigns, though Sigil interacts with them more directly.

Agreed that Sigil would be a focus, much like how Sharn is a big section of the Eberron book. But a Planescape book should also cover a lot of material/planes beyond that singular city.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Neither did the City of Greyhawk in Saltmarsh.

Granted, we're all basically moving around 10 pieces in a 1000 piece puzzle without the picture, so going by the drips of info we have were just amusing ourselves with the guessing games at this point...
I just wouldn't consider Avernus a "Planescape" related book just because it takes place in an Outer Plane. Greyhawk got a mini-setting deep dive in Saltmarsh, however.

My point is exactly that; AFR's art isn't regional at all, so using it as indicating a setting is more likely doesn't make sense.

Now that it has been clarified the revisit setting is in 2024 (not one of the 3 classic settings), I agree that makes a lot of sense for FR. Although Greyhawk could be a spoiler candidate, as it is the 50th Anniversary, and Greyhawk is D&D's first setting.

Like I said it could be both, 2022 is getting 2 classic settings after all. Or Greyhawk could be the 2022 classic setting.

It's the revisit, Greyhawk never got a 5e campaign setting, but that doesn't mean 2024 won't have another none FR setting as well, although I predict given the Nostalgia kick, no new or MtG settings for 2024, only FR and maybe Greyhawk, aka old school settings updated for 5.5e.

Urriak Uruk

Like I said it could be both, 2022 is getting 2 classic settings after all. Or Greyhawk could be the 2022 classic setting.

It's the revisit, Greyhawk never got a 5e campaign setting, but that doesn't mean 2024 won't have another none FR setting as well, although I predict given the Nostalgia kick, no new or MtG settings for 2024, only FR and maybe Greyhawk, aka old school settings updated for 5.5e.

Here's my predictions;

2022:
  • Classic Setting: Planescape (near-certainty)
  • Classic Setting: Dark Sun or Dragonlance (don't know which one)
  • Cameo Setting: Spelljammer (this is the Boo adventure, likely starts in FR and explores RealmSpace)

2023:
- Classic Setting: Dark Sun or Dragonlance (whatever wasn't in 2022, is this one)

2024:
- Revisited Setting: FR or Greyhawk

I know you're very confident that the 2024 book is FR, but I've seen folks become very confident before... I remember some folks here saying that one product as 100% going to be a FR Campaign Setting, and then it turned out to just be Laeral Silverhand's Dice Set. So I would temper expectations a little bit, although I think the revisited setting is probably FR. But it might not be.

Remove ads