D&D 5E Which Virtual Table Top are you using right now and what do you like best about it?

Which virtual table top (VTT) platforms have you used in your 5e games?

Hussar

Legend
That is a blatantly false. Please stop making false statements.

Since you said so, please stop doing that as well.

Really? What programs don't use drop down menus? Let's play a game. For every one that you can name that doesn't, I'll name one that does. We'll see who runs out first. Or, better yet, you name programs that use radial icon menus and I'll name ones that use drop down menus. What false statement did I make?

Look, I get that people are die hard FG fans. And, yeah, there are some great aspects to the program. The automation is fantastic. The support is first rate. It honestly rarely crashes or has other glitchy issues - to the point where I cannot remember the last time I had an issue like that. Dropping users tends to be a rarity. All first rate stuff.

But, the actual table itself? It completely lacks basic functions that have been standard on pretty much every other virtual tabletop for DECADES. No font support. No ability to change font size without changing the zoom of the entire UI. Map drawing tools that would embarrass a 6 year old. No sound functionality. No tabbed windows. These are all basic elements of other virtual tabletops that have been around for a LONG time. Good grief, I used OpenRPG back in the day and it supported sound files. And that was written in Python. For the Cadillac of VTT's, the most expensive option on the market, to lack these basic functions is a bad joke.

@Oofta, calling me a troll and using phrases like "steaming pile of poo" was a "just kidding"? Gimme a break. And, how come you're not jumping on @Lord Entrails? He doesn't seem to be in on the joke either.

Oofta

Legend
@Oofta, calling me a troll and using phrases like "steaming pile of poo" was a "just kidding"? Gimme a break. And, how come you're not jumping on @Lord Entrails? He doesn't seem to be in on the joke either.
Wowzers. You really do think my post saying that I am always right and only my opinion matters was directed at you. My post had absolutely nothing to do with you. Zero. Nada.

I was making fun of myself and everyone who thinks their opinion - which is 99% of what we discuss here - is right while everyone else is wrong.

If you feel that I violated forum policy feel free to report me. I'm done discussing this with you.

Wowzers. You really do think my post saying that I am always right and only my opinion matters was directed at you. My post had absolutely nothing to do with you. Zero. Nada.

I was making fun of myself and everyone who thinks their opinion - which is 99% of what we discuss here - is right while everyone else is wrong.

If you feel that I violated forum policy feel free to report me. I'm done discussing this with you.
That's a common problem, I'm afraid. There is a tendency to take things out of context and blow things way out of proportion

Oofta

Legend
That's a common problem, I'm afraid. There is a tendency to take things out of context and blow things way out of proportion
Yeah, the funny thing is I don't even really like Roll20 that much. It's just the one that my virtual dart landed on when I was scrambling to find a VTT. Were I to choose today I might make a different choice.

For example, owlbear rodeo actually looks like it supports my style better than Roll20 but I have reservations on whether I can prep games ahead of time (particularly setting up icons, the occasional pre-drawn map).

Yeah, the funny thing is I don't even really like Roll20 that much. It's just the one that my virtual dart landed on when I was scrambling to find a VTT. Were I to choose today I might make a different choice.

For example, owlbear rodeo actually looks like it supports my style better than Roll20 but I have reservations on whether I can prep games ahead of time (particularly setting up icons, the occasional pre-drawn map).
Roll20 is great for some games...it fits Shadowrun really well, for example. Works well with the WoD games, too. FG is perfectly fine for my needs, and I personally enjoy the automation and ease it allows me to setup encounters, campaigns, and stories. I also recognize that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But, some people really don't have anything better to do than complain.

Oofta

Legend
Roll20 is great for some games...it fits Shadowrun really well, for example. Works well with the WoD games, too. FG is perfectly fine for my needs, and I personally enjoy the automation and ease it allows me to setup encounters, campaigns, and stories. I also recognize that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But, some people really don't have anything better to do than complain.

I really have grown to like the visibility and line of sight - actually blinding PCs for example is great, as is the ability to only have a general idea what's going on when it's on the other side of a building.

But I end up spending a lot more time making maps and feel more constrained to what I have planned. I like to run very sandbox campaigns, so it's a bit more difficult and making on the fly maps is painful. That and I don't want/have enough time to work through the automation pieces other than using beyond 20. Some of the things people promote for other tools would probably fall into that "I don't want to spend that much time" on it.

So for my style of DMing it's a mixed bag and I only use a small part of the functionality.

Really? What programs don't use drop down menus? Let's play a game. For every one that you can name that doesn't, I'll name one that does.
So now you are arguing that more programs use drop down menus than don't. I will agree you might be right on that. But that is not the lie you made nor the statement I called you out on.

This is what you said;
a standard on EVERY program in the world.
THAT is blatantly false, and to prove it I only have to mention ONE program that doesn't use drop down menus. So fine let's start with the last program I used on my phone; "Hades Star" No drop down menus. Therefore I have proved that your statement is false. Sure, you may argue that is not what you meant. But it is what you said. Perhaps you should take more care before making absolute statements. Especially when you are trying to shame or negate a statement by someone you like to dispute.
He doesn't seem to be in on the joke either.
I started the joke, so yes, I was in on it. Apparently you didn't get it.

Why don't we just move on and stop arguing over stupid things.

I also recognize that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
I think this is the most important aspect for people reading opinions to understand. Yea, I love FG, but that's because it works great for me. I don't think I've ever said it is the perfect solution for everyone. Folks need to understand that even on something as simple as User Interface, different people want, expect, and enjoy different things.

Some folks think every program should have pull down menus. Others feel that they are old and cumbersome or sometimes just not needed. Both are right, for themselves.

Fortunately there are now more VTTs to chose from than ever before. So hopefully folks can find the one(s) that work best for them.

THAT is blatantly false, and to prove it I only have to mention ONE program that doesn't use drop down menus. So fine let's start with the last program I used on my phone; "Hades Star" No drop down menus. Therefore I have proved that your statement is false. Sure, you may argue that is not what you meant. But it is what you said. Perhaps you should take more care before making absolute statements. Especially when you are trying to shame or negate a statement by someone you like to dispute.
Ah, I see you two have met. Common failing, I've learned...

Last edited:

Zoom with Roll20 as dice roller.

We occasionally use Roll20 for maps and images, but increasingly we've moved to just using theatre of the mind online, as it just takes to long to prep on Roll20 and to resolve.

Remove ads