Whirling Frenzy from UA: Is it balanced?

EditorBFG

Explorer
Is this UA variant balanced?
Rage Variant: Whirling Frenzy

A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action.

Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways. At 11th level (when a standard barbarian gains greater rage), the Strength bonus increases to +6, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +3. At 20th level (when a standard barbarian gains mighty rage), the Strength bonus increases to +8, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +4.

A barbarian using this variant doesn't gain indomitable will at 14th level. Instead, he gains evasion, but only while in a whirling frenzy.

A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability).
The reason I ask is, I played a 1st-level Barbarian with this variant ability today, and it was a lot of fun. But one of the other players thought it was fishy that while normal Rage grants a -2 to AC, the Whirling Franzy grants no penalty at all.

I argued that the lack of a CON bonus, which keeps the Rage somewhat shorter, was the balancing factor, but I don't think he was convinced.

What do you think?

Arkhandus

First Post
Whirling Frenzy isn't the least bit balanced. It's capital-B Broken. It replaces the marginally-useful Constitution bonus of Rage (being slightly tougher only during the Rage and then losing an equal amount of HP afterward? Weak!) with instead the primary benefits of an equal Dexterity bonus (excepting only the Initiative, ranged attack, and skill bonuses, which aren't quite as relevant anyway for a raging barbarian). It also removes the Will save bonus.

But it also takes away the usual AC penalty of Rage (I suppose to make up for the fact that it doesn't grant quite all the benefits a Dex bonus would, even though Dex is a more useful ability score than Con? -_-). And on top of that, it adds another attack per round at a minor penalty (as if the Strength bonus won't already make up for that penalty!). If not for that last point, it just might be roughly balanced, but still a little stronger than Rage.

Another attack per round is huge for a raging/'whirling frenzied' barbarian!

phindar

First Post
I'm currently playing a Fighter/Barbarian, and my GM let me switch it out for standard rage, and the conclusion I came too was similar to the other posters, it's a little too rich for my blood. I think the AC and Reflex bonuses balance well against the CON and Will save of regular Rage, but then the free attack comes out of nowhere. Its kind of like buying a toaster and getting as a free gift, a speedboat. My two coppers.

Darklone

The whirling frenzy barbarian lacks a +2 to Fort and Will saves but gets the bonus to Refl saves. IMX Whirling Frenzy was better than normal Rage in many cases but only horribly broken if the DM allowed the additional attack not only in full attack actions.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
While I think Whirling Frenzy is slightly too strong, I disagree with the above posters as to how strong. I think they discount too much the value of the +4 to Constitution (adds HP, enhances Fort saves, and prolongs the rage by two rounds over Frenzy), and the bonus to Will saves (Will saves being the weakness of a barbarian).

I don't think the extra attack is too much ... instead, I think either the +2 to AC or (probably) the +4 to Strength pushes it over the edge. Keep in mind, the extra attack becomes proportionately less valuable as the character gains iterative attacks.

Thanee

First Post
A little on the good side, but not too much. The lower duration is a crucial disadvantage, unless you have outrageous stats.

Basically, it's probably fair with average stats and too good with high-powered stats.

Bye
Thanee

There's a scout PC in my group who's taking a one-level dip into Whirling Frenzy barbarian for the extra skirmish-enhanced attack it grants while moving. I'm a little wary, but we'll see how we go...

Remove ads