• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Revisited, OOC01

Leif

Adventurer
KerlanRayne said:
Hey, can I get a riding dog as a companion that can also be used in a "pack mule" type role. You talked about not wanting familiars so I wasn't sure how you'd feel.
Yeah, sure. And I'll probably reconsider about familiars in another level or two. (maybe three?)

However, the beastie will not be permitted anywhere inside the Academy above the ground floor, and he/she will have to stay in the attached stable most of the time. I'm not sure if this will fill your need for "companionship." Maybe Kerlan needs a girlfriend? :)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Shayuri said:
Hee hee
Out of curiosity, why the ban on familiars anyway? It's no big deal...just seems unusual.
Good point. That was just a way to streamline characters and keep the game as simple as possible while we were getting started. Plus, I don't want Whirtlestaffs turning into a bloody ZOO, either. :D But, having said that, perhaps I was too hasty in my prohibition. Do I hear a Motion from the floor to allow familiars?

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I'm OK with it. I usually forget about the little buggers anyhow. We have a bonus feat for it, so I am happy! :)

Shayuri

First Post
I personally like familiars...though I can understand your concern about a wizarding school up to its ears in little animals.

Of course, the Potter wizards got to keep pets, and they weren't always underfoot. Maybe the school has a special spot for familiars while the students are busy. They can go visit them, even take them out for walks and such, but generally the familiars stay in the pen or something, unless you go off campus...

Leif

Adventurer
RE-THINKING THE FAMILIAR ISSUE, or Unfamiliar Familiar Circumstances

Shayuri said:
I personally like familiars...though I can understand your concern about a wizarding school up to its ears in little animals.
Of course, the Potter wizards got to keep pets, and they weren't always underfoot. Maybe the school has a special spot for familiars while the students are busy. They can go visit them, even take them out for walks and such, but generally the familiars stay in the pen or something, unless you go off campus...
I'm open to something like that. How about a sort of "conservatory"-type room where the apparent inside dimensions don't match the outside dimensions. Much like the way the holodeck works on Star Trek, but it is not an illusion. Instead it's a kind of magical extradimensional effect, that allows an area of forest glade, meadow, and brook to be tucked away inside Whirtlestaffs, and where the familiars can run and play freely. I'm thinking that it will function like Heward's Handy Haversack, in that when a wizard enters the conservatory (unless someone has a better name for it) his/her familiar will always be near the door. And to make it even handier, the conservatory would have one entrance near the dormitories so wizards could get to their familiars quickly and easily from their personal rooms, but it would also have an exit to the attached stable area, so that you could pick up your familiar and take him/her/it with you for an outing without ever actually having the familiar in the parts of Whirtlestaffs reserved for people. How does that sound?

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
I am in favor of familiars. Your stable area sounds like and eminently practical solution to the problems of familiars and their droppings always being underfoot. I'd recommend a large staff of unseen servants man the stable. Perhaps casting and commanding such unseen servants and using lots of clean cantrips would be a common penance for students who commit infractions of the rules?

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Scotely, I completely missed your IC post. Crap. I have been waiting for it. :)
I will get right on it. :heh:

Leif

Adventurer
Scotley said:
I am in favor of familiars. Your stable area sounds like and eminently practical solution to the problems of familiars and their droppings always being underfoot. I'd recommend a large staff of unseen servants man the stable. Perhaps casting and commanding such unseen servants and using lots of clean cantrips would be a common penance for students who commit infractions of the rules?
Oooh, I LIKE it!! How about a corps of permanent unseen servants maintained by the faculty, with additional unseen servants provided by the students subject to punishment? Given this cleaning crew, you could eat off the stable floor! (If you were of a mind to do so, that is....hehe)

Scotley

Hero
FreeXenon said:
Scotely, I completely missed your IC post. Crap. I have been waiting for it. :)
I will get right on it. :heh:

No worries. I wondered if something was up, you've been posting very regularly and then just sort of dropped out of sight. I thought maybe Durgeon had passed out on the floor. :lol:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads