Who is better DAMAGE MACHINE a Fighter or a Barbarian or a Rogue?

What would the hitting probability and damage be for a Fighter or Barbarian versus a Rogue? Assuming both have the same points for stats and are the same level? (While they are flanking a monster.)

Last edited:

starwolf

First Post
OK, I'm assuming the question is (rephrased for clarity)

Which pure character class of equal level (Fighter,Barbarian, or Rogue) while in a flanking position can deal the most damage against Monster X?

Without looking at any book it would have to be the Fighter.

Better BAB vs. Rogue allowing more hits over the length of combat.

Better Feat selection than Barbarian or Rogue allowing (with judicious feat selection) a higher probability of hitting and higher damage average over length of combat.

Re: Who is better a Fighter or Barbarian versus a Rogue?

Corwin the Confused said:

What would the hitting probability and damage be for a Fighter or Barbarian versus a Rogue? Assuming both have the same points for stats and are the same level? (While they are flanking a monster.)

For simplicity, lets say 10th level, all stats 18's and no magic.

(I assume the fighter lives the longest and does good damage. The barbarian lives almost as long as the fighter and deals out more damage. The rogue dishes out the most damage only if he is flanking and if he can hit, but he will be killed the most quickly.)

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
Overall probably the barbarian on a round to round basis, though the fighter might win by having better AC and being able to land more hits.
Generically speaking the Barb gets essentially +2/+2 (rage) on all his attacks (maybe +2/+3); whereas the fighter gets +1/+2 (WF/WS). At higher levels the Fighter gets more feats, but most don't do more damage (unless in a specific situation). The Barb at higher levels gets greater Rage basically a +3/+3 (or +3/+4 or 5), where the fighter still has +1/+2.
Its hard to say since it depends on the circustance, the rogue will do alot of damage if hes flanking, but against most big creatures, hes lucky to live more than 2 or 3 rounds by himself. Barbs have lots of hps to counter the Fighters higher avg AC, but they get such a low AC that missing them isn't too hard.

I'll give the edge to the Barb,with the fighter a close second, and the rogue 3rd (though in the right situations the rogue could easily win).

reapersaurus

First Post
Can't assume all 18's for stats - it's an inaccurate representation.

Assume a 32-point buy.

Your question "Who is the better DAMAGE MACHINE" is easily answered.

The rogue at 10th level will make mincemeat of any damage numbers the fighter or barbarian can dish out.
It wouldn't even be close.

Look at the Mack the Knife Smackdown (using a Ring of Blinking or Imp. Invis) in the Sultans of Smack thread, and use a Fire Giant or a 9-headed pyro-hydra as the monster, and go to town with the 25d6 sneak attack per round (2 regular, 1 off-hand, 1 from Boots of Speed, 1 Expert Tactician at 5d6 a piece)

Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
reapersaurus said:

Assume a 32-point buy.

The rogue at 10th level will make mincemeat of any damage numbers the fighter or barbarian can dish out.

Look at the Mack the Knife Smackdown (using a Ring of Blinking or Imp. Invis) in the Sultans of Smack thread, and use a Fire Giant or a 9-headed pyro-hydra as the monster, and go to town with the 25d6 sneak attack per round (2 regular, 1 off-hand, 1 from Boots of Speed, 1 Expert Tactician at 5d6 a piece)

Don't forget the Fanged Mask from MoF that gives you a bite attack for that extra sneak attack damage. Then, Improved TWF in another 4 levels or so. Actually, there's another magic item from MoF...some gloves that give you Improved TWF if you already have TWF. So, in a high magic campain, you could have this at 10th level. So, that's an 8 possible attacks with a full attack action.

If your DM is crazy enough to allow feats from Traps and Treachery, it gets worse. There's another feat that basically works just like Expert Tactician, giving an extra attack when you are able to sneak attack an opponent. THEN, there's the Improved Sneak Attack feat that improves the d6 die to d8's. I don't think I'd allow those feats myself, but that's just me. But when you can't sneak attack, it sucks. Bad. Then again, my rogue got killed by a fighter, so who's to say. It could be a matter of who rolls the highest, or in other words...luck!

Caliban

Rules Monkey
reapersaurus said:

Assume a 32-point buy.

It was no magic, and flanking was specified. So no ring of blinking, no boots of speed, and no extra attack from Expert Tactician.

Remove ads