• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who still plays Basic D&D?

drothgery

First Post
mmadsen said:

I can see why they wouldn't want to splinter off another set of rules -- it always struck me as really, really weird that Basic D&D and Advanced D&D ran parallel to each other -- but a Basic 3E wouldn't need different rules at all, just fewer rules.

For instance, another product I could imagine would be a Rules Cyclopedia for 3E. It would only present the "corest" of the core classes (Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard) and races (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling), the most popular feats and spells (primarily at lower levels too), and everyone's favorite monsters (Goblins, Hobgoblins, Ogres, Giants, etc.), along with some introductory DMG material.

It could fill the niches between the $10 Adventure Game and the $90 trilogy of core books.

I was trying to figure how I'd do this earlier today. By eliminating races and classes, you can trim about 25 pages from the PH, but about 100 pags of the PH are filled with spells, and a lot of space in the DMG and Monster Manual is devoted to providing a decent variety of monsters and magic items for characters of al classes and levels.

If the basic 3E set only went to 10th level, then you can save a lot of space by stripping out spells above 5th level, prestige classes, the more expenive magic items, some item creation feats, more powerful monsters, and pretty much everything designed for medium to high level play. But I can't see compressing the Feat or Skill list by much; most of both lists have appeared in every complete d20 game.

Ceredhion

First Post
I've got that blue book, the one with the wizard with a strange stick-thing (is it a wand?) and the guy that looks like a fighter with a longbow, and a big dragon on a huge pile of treasure, the one where the max. level is 3rd, the one where everything does 1d6 damage. That's what you're talking about, right?

Btw, send those books to me! I could use the Player's and DM's guide!

mmadsen

First Post
If you want to compress the three core books down into a Rules Cyclopedia, realize that the spell section of the PHB runs well over 100 pages, from page 159 to page 275. If you did nothing but cut that down to the most popular 1st- through 3rd-level spells, you'd have enough room for all the popular monsters and some important bits from the DMG.

Dropping "extra" classes and races only get you another 10 to 15 pages, but it simplies the game -- and leaves entry-level players wanting to upgrade to the core trilogy.

WSmith

First Post
Geoffrey, I really like the XP table and distibution concept. I used to have SF on PDF, but don't remember how the XPs worked. Anyway that is a wonderful concept. That is pretty close to what I have been looking for, to ditch the standard 3e method, and go in a rules lite direction.

Thorvald, thanks for the character generation tutorial. I really like it. I can actually see a contemporary D&D variant heading in this direction.

Are there any message boards for oD&D or BD&D? I would love to hear how other folks BD&D games are going.

WSmith

First Post
mmadsen said:
If you want to compress the three core books down into a Rules Cyclopedia, realize that the spell section of the PHB runs well over 100 pages, from page 159 to page 275. If you did nothing but cut that down to the most popular 1st- through 3rd-level spells, you'd have enough room for all the popular monsters and some important bits from the DMG.

Dropping "extra" classes and races only get you another 10 to 15 pages, but it simplies the game -- and leaves entry-level players wanting to upgrade to the core trilogy.

As much as I would love to see this product, I know it will never happen. Even though you and I would think it a good idea, I doubt both the consumer masses or the WotC marketing dept would. ALTHOUGH, it would be a great gateway, and marketed right, in bookstores and toystores and department stores, could encourage the growth of the hobby again.

WSmith said:
Geoffrey, I really like the XP table and distibution concept. I used to have SF on PDF, but don't remember how the XPs worked...

Try going HERE ;)

Thorvald, thanks for the character generation tutorial. I really like it. I can actually see a contemporary D&D variant heading in this direction.

Thanks--Like I said, if you want a hard copy I'll e-mail you one in Word. :)

(It's just the class creation template stripped of most house rules.)

Are there any message boards for oD&D or BD&D? I would love to hear how other folks BD&D games are going.

There are a couple devoted to OOP D&D, but all that I've found concentrate primarily on AD&D (specifically, 2e).

I've been trying to convince the the gang at the Classic D&D website to start one up--but, to be perfectly honest, I don't know if there is the interest out there to justify it. :(

If you stumble across one, please give me a holler.

Last edited:

anowack

First Post
WSmith said:

There's always the Mystara Mailing List, which doubles as a mailing list for BD&D (though most posters refer to that rules set as OD&D).

There's also a wealth of resources both for the rules and the setting at http://dnd.starflung.com (There are aso instructions on how to join the Mailing List there).

mmadsen

First Post
As much as I would love to see this product, I know it will never happen. Even though you and I would think it a good idea, I doubt both the consumer masses or the WotC marketing dept would. ALTHOUGH, it would be a great gateway, and marketed right, in bookstores and toystores and department stores, could encourage the growth of the hobby again.

It seems like (a) a great gateway, (b) a great way to segment your market (you can target fans who don't have a lot to spend without taking away sales of the more expensive trilogy), and (c) a great convenience for hardcore gamers who only want to bring one book along to their game (or on a trip).

WSmith

First Post
Thanks, Thorvald. I had lost that SF link when I imported my favorites improperly. Glad to have it back again. :)

I would love a copy of the chargen info. wdsmithjr@hotmail.com

anowack, thanks for the info on Starflung. I had casually checked it out in the past, but am heading over to give it a more through lookover. :)

Looks like Mortality has a OD&D section, but not much activity. I remember the Classic D&D guys were getting flak from Geocites for being too popular. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads