• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who wrote these CRs?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Nope, my opinion is as I have stated it - which is not as "clarified" by lowkey13, since I am neither trying to portray myself as superior to anyone else or insist that the only reason someone can possibly not agree with me on the rules and how to interpret them is through not having read them.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I do think the quoted portion to which I responded speaks for itself (res ipsa) and is in contradiction to what you just stated.
Then you are wrong.

Put another way, there are repeated issues with application of encounter building using CRs, and the tables and guidance provided by the Basic Rules and the DM's guide. Instead of providing helpful advice, which can include-
a. there are websites and blog posts that change and modify the encounter tables provided in the DM's guide for those who rely more on CRs;
b. the CRs break down more as you go up in level;
c. the CRs aren't very good at taking into account the number of players/monsters once you deviate from the standard;
d. if the encounters are too easy, you should consider modifying them to include (more monsters, better tactics, different types of monsters within same encounters, etc.); or
e. ensure the use of CRs as just a very basic guideline, similar to the HD of 1e (which is what I stated from the beginning) as opposed to being an encounter building tool, as the encounter tables provided would seem to suggest.
There is a point at which the only advice a person needs is being told the intended use of a tool, and the CR complaints I have seen fall into that category.

On the other hand, one could always just say, "You're not reading the rules." Which would be similar to, for example, someone going into every thread where people are discussing whether X Feat is over/underpowered stating, "Didn't you read the PHB? It says feats are optional. Optional. Read the rules."
I do not find those things similar, and I do not appreciate how you apologize for being hostile in your opening statement of a post and then continue to be hostile by misrepresenting my statements thus far as if they are synonymous with "RTFM."

I'm not saying "you're not reading the rules." It's more like I am saying "Of course that doesn't tell you if your steak is cooked enough, it's a scale not a thermometer."

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
3) If you wanted the fight to last longer, you can always do so. This solar had legendary resistance. Even if you roll the dice in front of the players (and I always do), you simply shrug when you roll that natural 1, and say: "Well done. It uses one of its legendary resistance uses. You feel it is weakening..." Give the PC the sense that they achieved something, and move on. But isn't that cheating? No. Your job as the DM isn't to compete against the players. Your job is to create a memorable story. If you feel the players aren't going to be happy that the solar went down so early, then change the rules. That's the DM's mandate. You don't even have to prep ahead of time. You just flex it on the fly.

I do this all the time. The nalfeshnee demon is getting beaten up? Then it attempts to summon a couple of vrock demons. The MM says it has a 50% chance of succeeding, and I tell the players this. I roll a d6 in front of them and get a "4". I look them in the eye and say: "It succeeds!". I would have said exactly the same thing if I rolled a "2". I create the illusion of following the rules, I set the challenge, they react....

You say "but isn't that cheating? No." but my immediate, visceral response is "YES...."

If you're creating an illusion of following rules, when really you're making ferdamsher that my choices don't matter, any information my PC has collected is worthless, and that Things Will Proceed Exactly As You Have Foreseen no matter how clever/synergistic/lucky I get...I'm going to feel cheated. And if you're hiding this fact from me, I have to ask...why? If you're hiding it, that presumably means you don't want it to be known because that would be a bad thing. Why would it be bad for me, as a player, to know you're doing this? Presumably because it would upset me. If you're hiding something from players because knowing it would upset them, maybe there's something wrong with what you're doing.

We had a whole thread about this very topic a few months back. Let's just say that, at the very absolute least, that thread suggests it is not an open-and-shut case as to whether "creating an illusion of following the rules" counts as cheating, and further, whether or not it's a good thing to do.

I didn't comment on the rest of your post because none of the other points were as...objectionable to me...as that one was. In fact, I agree that those moments where something well-planned gets curbstomped by the PCs tend to be memorable things. Once had a campaign where the DM overtly tried to put us in a losing position (so we would go out and explore the world, rather than focusing solely on this one city)...and failed every time, because we managed to find some clever solution (occasionally by exploiting the "negative" consequences of prior events!), got lucky, or simply outmaneuvered him. It was only by pulling our heartstrings, rather than posing another major threat, that he got us to move (and quite effectively, I might add).

But for people who look to things like CR, XP budget, etc. as meaningful guidelines...for people who lack the time, patience, and mechanical experience to constantly craft their own opponents...a lot of your other solutions aren't especially helpful. And constantly changing the mechanics as a fight goes? Well...there are some DMs who consider that an unacceptable form of behavior on their part, even a violation of trust between player and DM.

Well, I agree that people complain more often than they post a thread saying, "I love how things are!" But I have noticed the complete absence of any threads extolling the virtues of using CRs to build appropriate level-appropriate encounters, and using them to do so, whereas there have been innumerable threads (look them up!) that talk about how they are busted, don't work, are problematic because the MM was released before the DMG, etc.

Argumentum ad populum

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The issue is many are reading CR wrong based on how the game displays if.

"For a party of X player characters of the Y level each, give the Z amount of xp of creature each day split in any number of encounters. No individual creature should have a CR over CR+2. An encounter of A xp is easy. An encounter of B xp or more might result in casualties."

That's it. Individual monsters, CRs, and encounters don't matter unless you go over the recommendations and this risky a casualty. All that matters is that you reach a xp value close to the recommended amount before the PCs ca take a long rest.

DMCF

First Post
CR is perfect against a team of my friends less than 1 year into D&D who have no tactical sense and are constantly getting each other killed. They have magical weapons and get upset like kids sometimes because they want to do something F'd up that would TPK the entire group and I won't let them. You wouldn't believe these guys were mid-late 30's sometimes. They never focus fire. They can't coordinate. Sometimes they just don't heal each other. Half of them always play this flaw: "I run away at the site of trouble" and they play it like: "A goblin's arrow missed my level 5 armored ass, time to run!". I counter this with NPCs on the route out to discourage it once in a while.

When these guys roll well they can 2 round a hard encounter. Mostly they nearly TPK on hard encounters while well rested. Suffice to say I have to use my imagination to keep them alive. For a while they were wondering why they leveled so slow and they wanted to long rest after every fight. It was bad...to the point where I was considering giving up the game.

Oddly enough I have to plan a lot for this group to make sure they can escape.

Then....

Against a team of my friends who are much more into D&D i.e., 16 years + of experience, CR is useless. At level 4 they can blow through a CR 7-8 single monster. Multiple monsters can present a problem but they manage pretty well. With these guys I use CR for the initial fight but I imagine what could make things harder in case they are making it to easy.

In the case of 1 shotting a Solar...fine. If it isn't a boss. if it is then I might declare the spell fails and the caster can roll perception. DC 15 they notice that the pendant around his neck flashed when the spell reached him. If they questioned why I rolled a D20 I say "There is a percent chance something else happens". That could just be a recharge...they don't care. Suddenly they want that amulet.

Now I've got an amulet that is cursed due to upsetting the benefacting God of the Solar...or a key to the next part of the quest.

This group I can be a lot more freeform, even if I'm playing an established adventure.

TLDR:

CR works great for noobs. It might even be a little too hard if some of your noob friends are insecure sociopaths who can't "Lay on Hands" each other without a fist bump and saying "No h*mo". (I love these guys though I am exaggerating a bit...just a bit).

Lancelot

Adventurer
You say "but isn't that cheating? No." but my immediate, visceral response is "YES...."

[snip]

But for people who look to things like CR, XP budget, etc. as meaningful guidelines...for people who lack the time, patience, and mechanical experience to constantly craft their own opponents...a lot of your other solutions aren't especially helpful. And constantly changing the mechanics as a fight goes? Well...there are some DMs who consider that an unacceptable form of behavior on their part, even a violation of trust between player and DM.

I don't really want to get bogged down in the first part of the response, which is a philosophical debate with no objectively correct answer. In my opinion, D&D isn't a competitive sport. It's a past-time to be enjoyed by friends. It's not poker (or even Settlers of Catan), where you can run multiple games per night. A D&D campaign could involve the investment of 200 hours or more into a single character. If the DM applies the rules rigidly with no flex under any circumstance, that investment (and the associated "fun") can be wiped out with unlucky rolls despite the best efforts and ideas of the party.

I'm not advising the DM flex the rules every few minutes, or ignore the dice completely. That seems to be a very black-or-white view to me. I'm saying there's a touch of grey. You don't flex the rules if it's obvious to the players. I don't rule one way on fireball this week, and another way next week. I don't reveal the monsters hp at the start of the battle (hence, I can change it during the battle if I need to). I don't roll a 16 and then call it a 12. I agree that no player would enjoy a campaign where they can see the DM "cheating". But, likewise, if the DM's only job is to apply the rules rigidly, they can be replaced by a computer. There's no human element.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I also respect your opinion as an equally valid approach. I'm confident neither of us will convince the other as to the rightness of our position. On my part, I've been DM'ing successfully using my method for 30 years with two large groups who are very happy with it. My players' enjoyment would be diminished if I didn't sometimes reduce the starting hp of monsters in secret if they were struggling, or add a complication if they were finding it too easy. But I can absolutely see how other groups would find that unacceptable. The beauty of the game is that we can each choose a method that works best for our own circle of friends. So: we're both 100% right, and we both love the game. Good outcome.

What I do want to discuss, though, is the use of CR and XP as meaningful guidelines. My question is: for who? D&D is an inclusive game that should be catering to all player types. Sure, there are a lot of us with decades of experience and a love of optimizing characters. There are also vast numbers of players who are young, or are semi-involved partners (boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, etc), or who only game occasionally, or who do it for purely roleplaying purposes (sub-optimal builds).

For many of those players, a solar is going to be terrifically difficult even at 17th level. I've seen a "non expert" player attempt to wrestle an ogre at 7th level, fail dismally over multiple rounds, and take terrible damage... when tactically, he could have mangled it in a couple rounds with straight weapon attacks. He had no idea of its hp, or the best tactical option. He was simply having fun.

This issue is magnified at high levels. High level D&D characters are hard to play, and the monsters they face are complex. Not every DM is an expert, either. Running a long (multiple round) combat with 17th-20th level combatants is something you learn how to do over many years.

Finally, there's simply no way you can account for every possible combo of player abilities. Your boss monster needs to be able to handle save-or-die spells... mass damage from the party of 4 barbarians/fighters/rogues... stun-locks... flying or invisible PCs... mass summoned creatures... PCs with endless slots to burn on counterspell. If every boss can handle all of those things equally, where's the diversity? A tarrasque can't handle flying PCs, and a solar apparently is vulnerable to a feeblemind. Good to know. That doesn't mean their CR is wrong, on average. It means that particular creature was vulnerable to a tactic that your particular party employed. If you want to change up the difficulty level, use different creatures (if you're unwilling to fudge it on the fly).

That's not the fault of WotC. There is no possible way they can guarantee accurate CRs for every playing group in the world. That's not even possible if every group in the world had exactly 4 players and they each played a fighter, cleric, rogue and wizard. There will be different levels of tactical awareness, player experience, DM style. For example, I play dragons with absolute tactical ruthlessness: stay in the air, focus fire, coup de grace a fallen foe to prevent him getting healed back to consciousness, use terrain effects and allies to maximum effectiveness. A dragon played by myself as a DM will be vastly different to a dragon played by a newbie DM.

The original complaint was implying that the solar was a pushover, and hence the CRs are too easy for a proficient group. That, in my opinion, is a good thing. The game should err on the side of "easy" rather than "hard".

An experienced group usually has an experienced DM, who knows all the tricks for increasing difficulty. Add more encounters per day. Deny short or long rests (the monsters attack the PCs while they're in camp, repeatedly, or they're in a hostile environment which prevents resting). Add more creatures to an encounter. Use creatures that you know will target party weaknesses. "Cheat" (i.e. add legendary resistance, or more hp, or whatever, to extend the battle to a satisfying dramatic length that suits the story). Whatever works.

For those DMs who lack the time, patience and experience to use the tools... well, I just don't buy it. The tools are simple. None of the items listed above are harder than what the OP is already doing: DM'ing and adjudicating for a group of 17th level (!!!) characters.

The OP is asking for WotC to design a CR/XP system which works perfectly for one single group in the entire world (3 players, a warlock with save-or-die spells, and a DM who doesn't know what to do story-wise with a solar who fails a saving throw). That's a pretty niche group. Or maybe WotC should design a CR system that accounts for every possible group?

The CR of a solar is 21. But add +1 for each PC less than 4. Add another +2 if the DM is very experienced and applies optimal tactics. But deduct -1 if the DM is a newbie. Deduct another -3 if the party has multiple save-or-die spells targeting Charisma. Also deduct -1 if the party is all barbarians with magical weapons.

That seems a lot more complex than just telling the DM: yep, the solar died. The players had fun; nobody died. Make it tougher for them next time by using a boss with legendary resistance and some minions.

Last edited:

Remove ads