TSR Who's running the TSR3 social media accounts?

Ernie Gygax (before he and Stephen Dinehart accused the whole affair of being orchestrated by WotC and then deleted their Twitter accounts) indicated that Justin LaNasa was running the social media accounts for TSR3, Giantlands, and Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum.

After a full week of insults, barbed exchanges, and problematic statements from all three accounts, the following has been posted by somebody who identified themselves as "Michael", perhaps suggesting that Justin LaNasa is no longer with the company (which seems unlikely), leaving many on social media to question whether "Michael" exists. The new TSR3 was founded by LaNasa, Stephen Dinehart, and Ernie Gygax, and despite the acrinomious social media activity, the former two founders' names have largely escaped much of the criticism.

UPDATE -- the below tweets now appear to have been deleted.

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.30.39 PM.png

Around the same time, the header above the available events at the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum website was altered to read: "Most role playing games will be played in old school fashion so if you're easliy offended or Rude ! DO NOT PLAY !" (sic)

tsr_rude.png

So who is TSR3 co-founder Justin LaNasa? He was an American politician who ran for office in 2014 and 2020, and who was involved in a minor scandal during the latter campaign.

Eubani

Legend
LaNassa has a 51% stake in the LLC. He may have receded into the shadows but he's still guiding the ship. Why? From my research to date:

Mr LaNassa is a 32nd degree Mason, ex-military (Navy & Coast Guard), used to have TOP Secret clearance, with lots of money, lots of properties (real estate broker), owns a successful tattoo parlor and Museum of the Weird; lots of friends, lots of accomplishments, beautiful wife and kids. Political office runs at least twice (failed). Highly connected in NC. No back down attitude, rather double down. Has a handy lawyer. Collects D&D artifacts, writes children's books (bio claim, source?), game designer (supposedly coming out with his own game), weapons designer (owns a tank!) Not only bought the old house on Williams St (old DHS) but came up from NC and restored it himself, re-roofing it as well.

This is not a resume that exhales the phrase "backs down".

Quote from Ernie's e-mail to m June 29:
As of this time I am not going to make any more statements Rob after a lot of thought I'm going to let this burn out I don't care about some of the other things and we will have a PR person and Justin is no longer doing things and I will not be put any information that is not done by a PR person or just showing us playing games....
Ernie's email smells of "If I close my eyes and cover my ears it will all go away". This is a man doomed to failure due to his own weakness of character. Considering how he was used both for his name and as a shield I could of found it in myself to pity him if not for his unwillingness to show an ounce of good character and own his mistakes.

Psikosis

Explorer
Of course, like all PR professionals, they put out a statement with a spelling mistake in it as their 'introduction' on Twitter. And doesn't provide contact information like an email, office phone number, mailing address, etc. or even a name. Because that's definitely how the pros do it.

I feel sorry for the TSR name. It deserves better than a bigoted, deeply unfunny larry, curly, and shemp of a game company.

Eubani

Legend
Of course, like all PR professionals, they put out a statement with a spelling mistake in it as their 'introduction' on Twitter. And doesn't provide contact information like an email, office phone number, mailing address, etc. or even a name. Because that's definitely how the pros do it.

I feel sorry for the TSR name. It deserves better than a bigoted, deeply unfunny larry, curly, and shemp of a game company.
A game company would need a game to it's name.

Libertad

Hero
Interesting they omitted the tweet where the TSR account called a trans person "disgusting" (or called her question about trans acceptance disgusting. Intent could be read either way, but extremely transphobic, regardless.)

I seriously wonder if a company who's only product at this point are t-shirts with possibly copy-right violating logos and re-packaged Dollar Store dice can afford a dedicated "PR Officer" on staff.

Bounding Into Comics has heavily promoted ComicsGate, an explicitly bigoted movement heavily aligned against the idea of comic book fandoms and media having more LGBT people and people of color as visible presences in said subculture. They shouldn't be relied upon as a legitimate news source.

Since then, there’s been a growing tidal wave of reactionary hatred directed toward women and minorities in the comics world. In angry tweets, as well as rambling YouTube videos, members of the inchoate Comicsgate movement have derided female and minority characters, creators, and fans — all while claiming to want a return to an imagined past of apolitical comics. Many of them have special ire for trans people (“SJW Mags Visaggio Takes Advantage of Trans-Tender [sic] PRIVILEGE To Get Hired And Make Money,” reads the title of one Meyer video about trans writer Magdalene Visaggio), accusing them of faking their trans status for fame and profit. A Comicsgate news-hub called Bounding Into Comics emerged, where progressive creators and critics are regularly accused of harassing or silencing conservatives. For those who followed Gamergate, the defensive positions are all too familiar: whenever someone says something extreme or incites targeted harassment, other reactionaries will either say it was all a joke or that that person doesn’t represent the larger movement. It’s nearly impossible to win an argument with the Comicsgaters, but ignoring them (something I’m ashamed to admit I thought would work) isn’t doing the trick, either.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases