• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who's the god of dogs?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Gez said:
My personal experience of a few dogs and a lot more cats. Cats just aren't as hypnotized by the Plate. Instead of looking slavishly at the Plate and imagining wonderful, wonderful FOOD! on it, they'll jump on some piece of furniture overlooking the table to see what's inside. Then, they'll quickly determine if it interests them or not. If it does, then they'll jump on the master's lap and from then on their whole head will be tugged by their nose, which will be in unerringly attracted by the food.

The plate, itself, though, is absolutely devoid of interest. Contrarily to the dog who can be fooled with an empty plate. It's a Plate, it must have FOOD!, thinks the dog.

Well, I think it depends on the food. Just a few hours ago, I was eating Mahi-Mahi for dinner, and I was besieged by 3 of my 4 cats. One climbed up on table near the plate, another climbed up my leg trying to get to it, the third just glared at it and me, meowing. And my 2 dogs didn't even care, despite being in the same room.

Dogs do probably react more to human food, but that's probably because human and dogs have more similar taste buds than cats and humans. (Dogs especially have a sweet tooth, which cats don't.)

Baron Opal

First Post
Thought of another one. Brother Dog is a god of Balastor near the Lunar Empire in Glorantha. He is worshipped out of gratitude due to the gift of his bretheren to help man. In return, initiates of the cult pledge to give aid and shelter his children (aka have them as pets and hunting dogs).

ivocaliban

First Post
Alzrius said:
A search for "dog" in the portfolio field also brings up a god named Erion, from The Unknown Gods, an old Judges Guild product.

I have that book. It describes Erion (Dog God, The Crowned Canine) as "a very tall, slender man covered with short, stiff hair." Erion is Neutral and his symbol is a Bone Crown. He's a loner whose howl curses his foes.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
trancejeremy said:
(Dogs especially have a sweet tooth, which cats don't.)
Tell that to my cat she craves ice cream. Especially chocolate ice cream and that's a sweet. Then again she might think she's a dog she plays fetch, eats potatochips, mashed potatos, corn, tomatoes, basically most anything not green. Oh yes and shrimp, I've learned that she WILL climb straight up your back and over your shoulder to get shrimp clawing for purchase all the way.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
This thread is of special interest to me because I will be running, in about a month's time, a HackMaster one-shot called "Dark Days in Dawg Town." So between the jokes, can we get some dawg-god related goodness?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
doG.

Seriously? Depends on the pantheon - but dogs and hounds are more commonly accessories rather than deities in and of themselves. Kernous has his hounds, Cuchilhain was also called the Hound of Ulster, but not quite the same thing. Pluto has Cerebus....

Wolves fare better in that regard.

The Auld Grump, who has massacred the spellings I am certain. :p

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads