D&D 5E Why are non-caster Ranger themes so popular?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Actually, I think you kind of can. For example, Paladins never have to cast spells. They can use all their spell slots on smiting. I would be ok with something similar as an alternative to a non-spellcasting ranger. I’m not sure what ability you could give to rangers that spell slots would fuel, but if one could be thought up, I’d accept that.
I definitely think you can do this by giving the Ranger a set of abilities from Natural Explorer and Favored Enemy. I’m not gonna worry about primeval awareness right now, but I don’t think a rewrite that doesn’t use spell slots and is less magical would be hard.

Natural Explorer would give some Wilderness Knacks, which would be different for different terrains, and useful outside of that terrain.

Favored Enemy would get a Bane poison and a Hunting Strategy for each favored enemy. The Bane would have a small damage element and a secondary debuff that is tactically useful against that type of enemy. Eg, Dragons would be 1d4 damage that bypasses Resistence and the target is slowed and if it is flying it loses 5ft of altitude every turn. Useful for fighting dragons, and lots of other stuff. Hunting Strategies would be similarly broad and themed but more passive and/or group oriented.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I find it weird that a lot of people in this thread seem to have an idea of Rangers as lone wanderers. I can only assume that this is some D&D baggage, as Rangers in both reality and fantasy fiction tend to act as part of larger, formal organisations. In Lord of the Rings this is true of both the Rangers of the North and the Rangers of Gondor.

Yes, you might have a Ranger out exploring alone, but generally only in the role of a scout, not someone expected to actually deal with threats solo. More usually they'd be operating in companies larger than most D&D adventuring parties, able to provide each other with mutual support.

And since the Ranger PC, also, is not expected to function alone, but to be part of an adventuring party, I see no good reason why this "solitary Ranger" concept should have any bearing on the class's design whatsoever.
Well, Aragorn is first met having travelled alone, and the Rangers of fantasy even when they fit the LOTR mold are often alone and deal with a lot alone, calling upon allies at need.

One thing I think D&D Rangers could use is more communication oriented stuff, and group benefits where the Ranger spends a resource (even if it’s just time/actions) and the team is better at doing a thing.

MarkB

Legend
One thing I think D&D Rangers could use is more communication oriented stuff, and group benefits where the Ranger spends a resource (even if it’s just time/actions) and the team is better at doing a thing.
That would certainly be both useful and thematic, both as teamwork and as sharing their expertise.

ECMO3

Hero
I find it weird that a lot of people in this thread seem to have an idea of Rangers as lone wanderers. I can only assume that this is some D&D baggage, as Rangers in both reality and fantasy fiction tend to act as part of larger, formal organisations. In Lord of the Rings this is true of both the Rangers of the North and the Rangers of Gondor.
It is specifically from AD&D 1E where Rangers were not allowed to work with more than 2 other Rangers.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's all Drizzt's fault.

Really, though, I mean everything. Everything wrong with the world is Drizzt's fault.

😉

(I have never read nor do I intend to read those novels.)
It is specifically from AD&D 1E where Rangers were not allowed to work with more than 2 other Rangers.

Gygax designed rangers to be lone wanderers because that's how they were seen in fiction and nonfiction by many.

The issue is that people often forgot that historic and fictional rangers usually had a supply chain/network or home base of friends, allies, mentors, and superiors. You always seen rangers after training and on rangings. Rarely doing training, going to town for repairs and restocking, talking to their mentors/trainers, talking to allies/other rangers...

Remove ads