• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why average wealth by level is a good thing.

didn't know that. That's not a bad idea, though a level requirement before handing out, only solves part of the problem. How many Level5 items is my Level5 PC allowed to have? How many lesser items, and in what combinations?

It's been awhile since I read it, but the MIC basically recommends a starting character get 1 item of their current level, and 2 items for each level-2. So, a 5th-level character could start with 1 5th-level item, 2 3rd-level items, and 2 1st-level items.

You can exchange an item for 2 from a lower level - so a 5th-level item could be traded in for 2 4th-level items.

DMs are encouraged to keep PCs roughly in-line as they advance.

I may be off in the specifics, but the general idea is accurate.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
The problem that I see is having a system that uses "Magic Items" as part of character builds and then scaling the monsters to what kind of magic item they think they should have at so and so level when fighting so and so monster.

I like getting random treasure and finding all kinds of different ways to use them. Now if it's something I obviously can't use then I find something else to trade it for.

I honestly though 4th edition D&D was supposed to be more about the character and less about the items.

drothgery

First Post
I think if you have a system like D&D -- a class and level game where magic items are a significant portion of a character's power -- then there's really no option. You can't have a balanced game with D&D-esque magic items (which are common, powerful, and necessary to defeat high-level threats) without wealth by level tables (or a formula or other mechanism to determine how much treasure PCs 'should' have).

Your other options are living with an unbalanced game, making magic items far less common and less powerful, or paying for magic items with some character resource other than money (which still effectively is a wealth by level table, it's just the price isn't in gp).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I dislike wealth by level guidelines. I saw them contribute towards boringness in magic items in a big way.

Also the values they put on items meant that by the time they were deemed 'appropriate' they were no longer of actual value to the PCs in many cases.

In my last Eberron campaign I ditched wealth by level entirely, and made some interesting and powerful magic items available to the party. Nothing like 'monty haul' but far, far more interesting than any of the 3e campaigns I'd been running prior to that.

Wealth by level was merely another attempt to over-codify D&D IMO. There was the best of intentions behind it, but I think it did more to harm than to help.

Cheers

Griego

First Post
Wealth by level is a good thing, rules lawyers with entitlement issues are not and need a good talking to, or expulsion from the group if necessary.

FireLance

Legend
Wealth by level is a tool. Like any tool, some find it useful, some don't need it, and some will misuse it.

I personally find it useful although I'm experienced enough a DM that I can get by without it and deal with players who try to misuse it.

Votan

Explorer
I found wealth by level to create odd problems when characters died. If replacements were even close to the level of the dead character and entered with wealth, the next effect was to create way too much wealth in the game.

Conversely, one Mage's Disjunction was very hard to recover from (as wealth tended to be split evenly).

I never did find a sweet spot for this mechanic. Right now I am DMing a Pathfinder adventure path and that has worked out okay but another character death (at these levels) would be an issue.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Also the values they put on items meant that by the time they were deemed 'appropriate' they were no longer of actual value to the PCs in many cases.

I noticed that too, particularly with multi-effect items, and especially in contrast to items that give simple bonuses.

Remove ads