Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In US English, the aur trigraph is very close to "ar"... most of the US lacks the Rhotic shift which seems to have infiltrated Massachussets and UK RP
DinosAAARFG!

Actually, following the minotaur rule it would be DINNosAAAAAR!

I think it's safe to say English isn't consistent even in one dialect, let alone crossing multiple dialects.

DinosAAARFG!

Actually, following the minotaur rule it would be DINNosAAAAAR!

I think it's safe to say English isn't consistent even in one dialect, let alone crossing multiple dialects.

I don't know how the rest of the country does it, but in the North East of the US: Dī-noh-sȯr or Dī-nə-ˌsȯr

True story. I had a friend order a Barbarian Cream donut once. My brother, I and the waitress bursted out laughing. He couldnt understand why until we told him its Bavarian Cream not Barbarian Cream. In his defense his nickname was "Dummy".

To be fair, Bavaria is not part of the United States :p

On the radio ads from the 50s and before, Protein is pronounce "Pro-tee-enn" instead of "Pro-teen"...

Edit: It's not quite as extreme as the radio ones, but you can here some of it in this TV ad from the 60s

around :11, and twice just after :29, and again a few times more.

So when does the cereal box turn back into a mimic?

Wouldn't matter if it is or isn't, I don't think he knew where he was half the time anyway.

The joke was the humorous implication that "barbarian" would adequetely describe anything not in the USA

(and for refrence, the joke in the second half of my post was that they way they pronounce protein in the Kellogs ad sounds like protean which means shapeshifting)

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
I think that’s how everybody says it.
I friend of mine, raised in Boston, pronounced it DI-no-sah... full r translation to h rhotic shift. the ah is the same as the a in father, written in US elementary dictionaries as ä... Her pronunciation of father was also Fah-thah... the only words she and her sister used R's on were those where the syllable starts with r
A couple of lecturers at the Royal Academy use a softened rhotic r...
It's the 3rd least intelligible US dialect of English I've heard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases