• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do we need to be "wow"ed?

evildmguy

Explorer
Hijinks said:
I'm in Cedar Rapids, but the bf is from Newton so we get down there every now and then.

We used to live in CR and miss it still at times. Great town.

Do you game with Nail? I know he runs a game there. Or your own group? Just curious.

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
a.) I don't watch movies just because beautiful people are in it (although HELLO Eric Bana!!)

I wish I had your high moral standards, Hijinks. (But I'll agree with you about Eric Bana.)

I don't need to be "wowed" I need to be entertained.

I tend to agree.
As a fan of "classic" cinema, I, for the most part, never expect to be "Wowed" when I go to a movie nowadays. As long as I'm entertained, I consider the $10 well-spent. (Now "The Island"? Failed to grip me in any way.)

And it's an added bonus when the movie does impress me. ("March of the Penguins" impressed me quite a bit, for example.)

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Hijinks said:
So now I wonder: why do we need to be "wow"ed by a movie to consider it a good movie? Why can't a movie just entertain?

I can safely say, that this is not the case for me. :)

I can enjoy a movie, that is not just completely AWESOME.
Of course, awesome movies are great and if every movie would be awesome it would be even better, tho, maybe then you couldn't really find any of them awesome anymore, since they were all merely average...

I found Troy to be fairly entertaining, actually.

As long as a movie isn't HORRIBLE, it's all good. :D

Bye
Thanee

Ranger REG

Explorer
Hijinks said:
So now I wonder: why do we need to be "wow"ed by a movie to consider it a good movie? Why can't a movie just entertain? Why do folks get so bent out of shape about a movie? I mean, if I went to the theater (which I rarely do), I might perhaps get angrier if I went to see a movie that failed to entertain. But I rent through Netflix most of the time, and if I don't feel entertained by a flick, I turn it off. I guess I just see it as a symptom of modern American society that we feel that if a movie didn't "wow" us with its actors/actresses, its special effects, and its plot, that we get angry about it. I've seen reviews on this board as well where people seemed personally affronted by films, and it always made me wonder.
I guess everyone's level of enjoyment are different. A movie should hold one's attention, make them awe, laugh, or sad, so that over an hour or two, you come out of that dark room knowing that you didn't waste all that time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads