D&D 5E Why do you use Floating ASI's (other than power gaming)? [+]

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Isn't the whole reason for this thread coming up with reasons why floating ASIs are good other than power-gaming? You cant just say "creativity" and leave it at that without explanation.
There comes a point in these discussions where folks start quibbling over the definitions of words like "creative." That's really not how I want to be spending the hours of my life. When a discussion reaches that point, I usually try to stop engaging.

MGibster

Legend
One of the nice things about non-weapon proficiencies from 2nd edition AD&D, is that no matter what class I played, I could take an NWP and feel like my character was good at that. I made a Fighter once who had NWP artist (or something like that it's been a while so give me a break), because I wanted him to work on a drawing monsters he encountered for a book he was working on.

I think floating ASIs are pretty much only good for one reason. The nice thing about floating ASIs is that it helps players create the character they want to play. If they're making a Fighter and they simply want to optimize that choice by putting their ASI into Strength and Constitution that's just fine. But if they want to play a wise Fighter they can put my ASIs in Strength and Wisdom. It's really all about giving players choices.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Isn't the whole reason for this thread coming up with reasons why floating ASIs are good other than power-gaming? You cant just say "creativity" and leave it at that without explanation.

I can only answer for myself:

1. Floating ASIs will result in more non-standard race/class combinations. Some might call that by itself "creativity", but...
2. ...I believe that this, in turn, will spark more creativity in character concepts as people come up with stories behind these new characters. A half-orc barbarian is just simply less likely to generate new ideas compared to, say, an Aasimar barbarian.

MGibster

Legend
I mean, really, what other explanation do you need?
While I have my criticisms of floating ASIs (and since this is a + thread I won't voice them here), I recognize that there are good arguments in their favor. Well, just one good argument really and that's creating the character you want. It's the whole reason I abandoned random dice rolls for attributes more than 20 years ago.

MGibster

Legend
I can already predict the response: "Well I want to play a character with all 20's and a Vorpal Sword. Why can't I? Huh? Huh?"
Honestly, I sometimes wonder if it's really necessary for characters to be extremely weak in some areas for them to be extremely strong in others. I get that we generally don't want perfect protagonist for any work of fiction or a game. But the system as it stands now really does encourage people to ignore the attributes that don't directly correspond with the effectiveness of their class. I'm playing a Druid in a campaign right now with a 9 Strength. Does that really make any sense? Most adventurers are young (for their race), physically fit individuals in the prime of their lives. They're physically fit because their occupation demands it. Even a Wizard needs to run from time-to-time. And yet it's completely normal to have a Fighter with a 9-10 Intelligence, a Wizard with a 9 Strength, etc., etc.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Honestly, I sometimes wonder if it's really necessary for characters to be extremely weak in some areas for them to be extremely strong in others. I get that we generally don't want perfect protagonist for any work of fiction or a game. But the system as it stands now really does encourage people to ignore the attributes that don't directly correspond with the effectiveness of their class. I'm playing a Druid in a campaign right now with a 9 Strength. Does that really make any sense? Most adventurers are young (for their race), physically fit individuals in the prime of their lives. They're physically fit because their occupation demands it. Even a Wizard needs to run from time-to-time. And yet it's completely normal to have a Fighter with a 9-10 Intelligence, a Wizard with a 9 Strength, etc., etc.
That’s more of a debate about point buy stat generation than ASIs, and it does factor in to reasons I prefer characters to be rolled. Rolled stats are independent of each other as variables.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
So when will we hear from the player that gave their half-orc fighter a boost to Intelligence instead of Strength? Or the dwarven cleric with more Charisma than Wisdom? Because that could be more creative than just making mechanically effective characters with uncommon race-class combinations. IMHO.
I have a 5e dwarf cleric with WIS as his 3rd lowest stat. Does that count?

Remove ads