D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Wik

First Post
Not much I *hate*, but I do have a few quibbles, I guess:

1. The lack of any upcoming new campaign settings. I'd like to see some official Dark Sun, stuff. And I would LOVE to see a whole book that is dedicated to converting old settings. Like, 20 pages of this setting, 20 pages of this setting, etc. And it would come with a download code so you could get a free PDF of whatever campaign setting in there interested you the most.

2. Some monsters are not as awe-inspiring as I'd like. I'm particularly looking at the various oozes and slimes.

3. The "rogue" role has been more or less dropped. Now the game is back to OD&D standards - fighting man, cleric, and wizard, and various incarnations of those. The existence of traps has greatly diminished, and any old fool can use perception to at least find 'em.

4. Multi-classing is frustrating. On the plus side, it's optional, so this isn't really a huge beef.

5. Halfling art. Oh yes, halfling art.

6. Lack of Tiefling and Dragonborn subraces. Or half-elven subraces. All of those would be cool.

Remathilis

Legend
1. The lack of any upcoming new campaign settings. I'd like to see some official Dark Sun, stuff. And I would LOVE to see a whole book that is dedicated to converting old settings. Like, 20 pages of this setting, 20 pages of this setting, etc. And it would come with a download code so you could get a free PDF of whatever campaign setting in there interested you the most.

This. A thousand times this.

A while back, an idea (vaguely based on a WotC tweet) about a Worlds of D&D book was floated; 320 pages, with one setting per chapter. Each chapter would have a general overview of the setting, a few rules/options, a monster or two, and a "where to find more" section.

1.) Forgotten Realms (General info on Sword Coast/Neverwinter area, Sundering changes)
2.) Greyhawk (General Flanaess info)
3.) Eberron (Five nations info, Xen'drik, warforged, artificer, and shifters)
4.) Dark Sun (general info, elemental clerics, defilers, athasian subraces)
5.) Ravenloft (power checks, curses, domain rules)
6.) Planescape (Sigil, bariaur and githzerai races, and factions)
7.) Dragonlance (knighthoods, draconians, wizard orders, and kender subrace)
8.) Birthright (dominon rules, bloodlines, and mass battle)
9.) Other Worlds (a bit on Mystara, Kara Tur, Zakarha, and Nentir Vale. No real rules info here).

As a whistle wetter, it'd be a good intro to other areas and give most conversion projects a starting point. However, I've learned not to hold my breath.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I like 5e. I don't really care about getting into the hate spiral. I'd much rather focus on the things I enjoy rather than things I hate. I could go on for days about all the bad things with games, both tabletop and video. I can tell you all the bad stuff about different companies, musical instruments, why any particular major in college is a terrible choice, etc. I find no joy talking about what is terrible or what I hate. Especially in a topic devoted solely to hate. It's good to talk about good and bad points, but harping on terrible things about a game without mentioning any redeeming qualities? No thanks.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I love 5e, but there are PARTS of it that I hate.

Mostly, I hate the "missed opportunities:"
* Feat system is a good idea, but in practice is fraught with problems. I hate it.
* Ritual system is nearly non-existent; it's an afterthought. I hate it.
* Sorcerer needs more origins and each one needs a thematic spell list. The version in the PHB is just too watered-down. I hate it.
* The weapon table doesn't totally make sense to me, and the armor table makes zero sense. I hate them.
* The rules for readying an action are too baroque fail to solve the basic problem of "I'm not ready to act right now and I don't want to give up my turn." I hate them.

...I could go on but I'm starting to get into minutia and the truth is, most of these are things that I hate because they are merely mediocre when they could have easily been great. Missed opportunities.

Sacrosanct

Legend
With the sheer number of RPGs out there available to play I would never play one that I hated, or one that had things about it that I hated that couldn't be easily ignored. In fact, I don't even see the point in talking about games I hated. Not sure why other people do. I mean, hate is a pretty strong word.

I dislike how the playtest was really a big concept test and didn't really playtest the final product.
Everything else I'm less happy with comes out of that.

I'm not a fan of how high level monsters in the MM don't really seem to conform to the numbers in the DMG at all.

I love that building characters is simple and easy. And that you don't need to do a tonne of work to level. But options to allow more "building" would have been nice for those interested in more complex characters.

Last edited:

manuzed78

First Post
The only house rule, my group need is negative hit points ...
Juste because we HATE death saving throws ...
Otherwise, 5E is so cool for us

Remove ads