D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
D&D 5e isn't offal but its isn't the 'end all and be all' either.

For me, no game is, but I have had to do the least to 5e to make it what I like, which is nice. But really the best thing about 5e is all of the community interest and contribution. People are coming up with so many interesting ideas that, for us, 5e really has become the best edition yet. The options and variants available are so plentiful it is wonderful!

For me 5e is the "good enough" edition.

Which is actually a better compliment than it sounds.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
fP20Ph5.png

Satyrn

First Post
I'm trying to craft a joke about 5e sucking (in a good way) because WotC got Dyson involved, but I'm coming up empty as a vacuum.

Oofta

Legend
Why does 5e suck?

Because you got your portable hole stuck in my bag of holding!

I was once playing a PC that had been secretly dominated and had been instructed to get rid of a fellow PC. So while she was asleep I cast rope trick directly above her and then went to levitate her bedroll (with her on it of course) and gear into the rope trick. Did I mention she had a bag of holding in her gear? :heh:

For better or worse someone else "happened to" wake up just in time to stop him.

RPGWizard

Villager
The chainmail combat system.

Let's be honest, DnD 5e has one of the worst tactical combat systems in existence. The choices for attacks are hit things up close, or hit things from far away. With choices during combat rarely encouraging deviations in strategic choices.

In short there are no meaningful tactical decision to be made during combat unless you cast spells. Otherwise combat actions are decided long before combat ever takes place, while the character is being built.

Imagine a game of magic the gather were you could only ever play one card you chose before beginning the game, and that was it. This is DnD 5e combat in a nutshell.

DnD 5e has tragically terrible social interaction rules. Awful chase scene mechanics, terrible vehicle control options, and regressive damage resolution mechanics. Plus tons of superficial, service to the brand, mechanics that hold the game system back.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Mechanically? Inspiration and BIFTs: seemed like such a great idea, totally ignored in play by all groups I've run for.

I'm terms of the books? The DMG is a disorganized book that gives you zero procedures for play, and is just better as a book of inspiring generators for prep, and as a magic item reference. It's no good at teaching the game or serving as a useful reference at the table.

Remove ads