• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why does nobody complain about the monk?

jasin

Explorer
And the Brass Knuckles in the APG solve the lack of cheap enhancement problem.
If indeed they do (I haven't seen what they do, but I'm betting "treated as a weapon, your unarmed strikes are now lethal"), they're the stupidest item ever.

If they thought monks should be able enhance their fists at the same cost as normal weapons, they should've just let monks enhance their fists at the same cost as normal weapons. No need to reduce what should be wuxia Shaolin kung fu masters to using brass knuckles like back alley thugs.

Werebat

Explorer
If indeed they do (I haven't seen what they do, but I'm betting "treated as a weapon, your unarmed strikes are now lethal"), they're the stupidest item ever.

If they thought monks should be able enhance their fists at the same cost as normal weapons, they should've just let monks enhance their fists at the same cost as normal weapons. No need to reduce what should be wuxia Shaolin kung fu masters to using brass knuckles like back alley thugs.

This.

Something about monks having to use brass knuckles to compete just... bugs me.

Again, how would just giving them full BAB work? That's been my quick and dirty fix for a while now.

- Ron ^*^

jasin

Explorer
Did you miss my post earlier... or are you just up to your old tricks? :]

Pathfinder monks get full BAB + TWF when flurrying. That's what flurry is in Pathfinder.

Werebat

Explorer
"Old Tricks"? Does your last name begin with a "Z"? :^)

I hadn't seen your post, no, and am in India at the moment so haven't been able to access my own books (or the internet with much regularity) lately... And I've never actually PLAYED PF. So it's just a case of ignorance on my part. :^)

- Ron ^*^

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer

Just as I said. I continually find it ironic that monk is the only class that can have his weapons enhanced by pretty much any caster in the game, and yet he pays MORE for enhancement items, not less. So logical!

Pathfinder monks get full BAB + TWF when flurrying. That's what flurry is in Pathfinder.

They could've just given monks full BAB...always. Clerics and Druids still share the d8 HD, Rogue and Bard got bumped up to it, and Ranger got upgraded to d10. Would it really step on the martial classes' (heh, I'm making it sound like monk isn't a martial class...not sure if that's entirely inaccurate...) toes if he had a full BAB?

I'd rather buff monk in other ways (see my sig for some things I'm thinking of giving them) and leave him with medium BAB, but if you're going to leave him a gimped class, at least let him always hit things easily.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
They could've just given monks full BAB...always. Clerics and Druids still share the d8 HD, Rogue and Bard got bumped up to it, and Ranger got upgraded to d10. Would it really step on the martial classes' (heh, I'm making it sound like monk isn't a martial class...not sure if that's entirely inaccurate...) toes if he had a full BAB?

No, it wouldn't step on their toes, but it would mess with backward compatibility, which was the reason given for not changing the monk's BAB. Giving them a bonus for conditional uses of their abilities does not because it doesn't affect entry into prestige classes nor gaining feats like changing the BAB would.

jasin

Explorer
"Old Tricks"? Does your last name begin with a "Z"? :^)
Indeed it does! :)

I hadn't seen your post, no, and am in India at the moment so haven't been able to access my own books (or the internet with much regularity) lately... And I've never actually PLAYED PF. So it's just a case of ignorance on my part. :^)

- Ron ^*^
One never knows with you, does one? :)

What have you been up to, D&D-wise? Thinking of trying Pathfinder?

jasin

Explorer
No, it wouldn't step on their toes, but it would mess with backward compatibility, which was the reason given for not changing the monk's BAB. Giving them a bonus for conditional uses of their abilities does not because it doesn't affect entry into prestige classes nor gaining feats like changing the BAB would.
That's a very weak reason. Not many (if any?) monk prestige classes use BAB as the limiting requirement, precisely because monks have medium BAB. Feats would be available sooner, but it would hardly shatter backward compatibility if monks could get, say, Improved Critical at 9th instead of 11th.

Werebat

Explorer
Indeed it does! :)

One never knows with you, does one? :)

What have you been up to, D&D-wise? Thinking of trying Pathfinder?

Running an E6 3.5 game set in Eberron, where the PCs are playing orcs and goblinoids (the native peoples of Khorvaire) trying to prevent the re-entry of the Daelkyr from Xoriat. They're at 6+10 now, so things should be wrapping up sometime this year.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm playing a regular 3.5 game (also set in Eberron; the DM is running us through Age of Worms). Playing a creepy Blue (goblin) warlock in that one.

Continuously adding to my music files for gaming... Got an iPhone now. At this point I back up so much it would take a house fire to get rid of my library entirely, and even then I'd be able to get MOST of it back... Complete loss would require a nuclear war or some such.

And you?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
That's a very weak reason. Not many (if any?) monk prestige classes use BAB as the limiting requirement, precisely because monks have medium BAB. Feats would be available sooner, but it would hardly shatter backward compatibility if monks could get, say, Improved Critical at 9th instead of 11th.

Nevertheless, it was a reason cited by the Paizo team. They're content with some numbers changing when DMs update previously published stat blocks. They're content with the behavior of certain feats changing. They didn't want the when they become available changing.

Besides, it's not just about monk-oriented prestige classes, but also fighter-oriented ones as well. Many of those would be available to a monk character sooner because they do rely on a minimum BAB.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads