D&D General Why Editions Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
AH, yes, the pay 90 dollars for permission to write my own game approch.
LOL Hardly! 5E is the first edition IMO which has HUGE "gaps" in the rules and feels like the designers simply expect groups to fill in those gaps themselves.

B/X and BECMI worked IMO without changing anything.
AD&D 1E was more of the "remove what doesn't work" edition.
AD&D 2E was the "we'll give you so much splat you won't want to use it all" edition.
3E I can't tell you, I played it less than a year in 2007, which wasn't really long enough for me to add, modify, or remove content.
4E I can't say since I never played it.
5E is the first edition where the rules are there (sort of), but feel incomplete.

So, I totally agree with your statement relating to 5E, but that's pretty much it as far as the editions I played anyway.

Oofta

Legend
I'm sure a lot of people mod the heck out of their games, but I probably run 98% according to the rules. Same for most people I've played with for the last couple of editions. That includes a couple of games with WOTC employees.

I think editions matter to most people when they are using rules to move the game forward. On the other hand, most social interaction and exploration (with the exception of 4E's skill challenges) have always been pretty much the same.

What the video seems to be saying is that a Model T is the same as a Tesla. I, and my brother in law who loves his Tesla (I'm not a fan), would disagree.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Also, I'd very much like them to stop making up excuses for not writing complete rules like every other game designer has managed for the last 50 years managed to.
I’ve yet to see any evidence of any kind that even a plurality of groups feel like they’re using an incomplete rules set. Not as detailed as you’d like is not incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases