D&D 5E Why Good Rogues Should Not Use a Bow

Valetudo

Explorer
Um... what? Did you mean some definition of "all their online games" that doesn't include Dice, Camera, Action? Because the characters in that game definitely did not use stat array, the human paladin had a 19 strength at level 1, and with also having another 16 and 17 for scores it is blatantly clear that rolled scores were used.
sorry didnt watch that one. I turned it off in like 5 minutes because the players where so annoying. I do know that mercers FR group did use stat array. And all the games they started and never finished because they kept laying off the players where stat array. Im not saying people shouldnt roll for stats if they want to. Im saying rolling for stats changes the game just as much as magic items, feats , and multiclassing does.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Im not saying people shouldnt roll for stats if they want to. Im saying rolling for stats changes the game just as much as magic items, feats , and multiclassing does.
Since rolling stats is actually the default rule, it's technically choosing to use point buy or arrays that is changing the game - though I agree the impact of that decision can be as intense as those other options which you mention.

Valetudo

Explorer
Since rolling stats is actually the default rule, it's technically choosing to use point buy or arrays that is changing the game - though I agree the impact of that decision can be as intense as those other options which you mention.
Your wrong stat array is also considered default. Read the phb carefully.

flametitan

Explorer
Choosing the array, unlike point buy, is technically not a variant rule. It is described in the same paragraph as rolling, and does not say "your DM may allow," it explicitly leaves the choice to the player.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Your wrong stat array is also considered default. Read the phb carefully.
My wrong stat array is not considered default... though I have to admit, I was not previously aware that I own a stat array, nor that it was wrong.

Grammatical jest aside; I am not entirely wrong. I said the default is rolling, and this is absolutely true. I then said someone can choose point buy and change the game by doing so, and that someone can choose an array and change the game by doing so, and both of those statements are also absolutely, technically as I said before, true.

If you are going to so rudely insist that I haven't read something carefully, you should probably have read my post carefully first.

Choosing the array, unlike point buy, is technically not a variant rule. It is described in the same paragraph as rolling, and does not say "your DM may allow," it explicitly leaves the choice to the player.
It not being a "variant rule" doesn't change that it is a choice one makes if they wish to not use the default rule of rolling. That said choice is left to the player by the text is also not contradictory to anything I've said.

Zardnaar

Legend
To anearlier point about CE+SS being better than melee. In some situations yes, but its still not factoring in opportunity cost such as not threatening perhaps combined with a melee PC with sentinel (with higher dex as well).

Even if you are aggro and up near the front in order to take hits and things like that to reduce incoming damage on the party.

jasper

Rotten DM
Because they look like sissies with pink bows in their hair. And should pluck their own string instrument. Evil Rogues are over the black goth bow look. It is so last edition.

nomad737

First Post
Okay. I know I'm coming into this late but I find the premise really shortsighted. I've played two games where I have seen a rogue at the back do the following so I built my own.

Rogue: Cunning Action Hide around a tree, pillar, something... with an insanely high hide check. Per Crawford, hiding doesn't mean they don't generally know where you are. They just can't see you clearly.
Rogue: Attack with advantage since hidden (Can't see you clearly) and the rogue definitely beat the monsters usually terrible perception.
Rogue: DAMAGE!!

I brought a rogue in at 3rd level with a 16 dex. +5 to hit but with advantage and I do d6(3.5) + 3 + 2d6(7) so I'm averaging 13.5 a round at 3rd level. 20.5 damage at 5th and it escalates +7 every two levels from there. Those are some decent numbers at 3rd level and with the rate of gain increasing as it does, you can stay competitive however long you play that campaign. With nothing else changing you can expect 41.5 damage average a round at 19th level on a hit.

AND since you are rolling with advantage you are twice as likely to get a crit and fumbling is pretty darn rare. Crit damage on a sneak attack is sweet!

Okay. I know I'm coming into this late but I find the premise really shortsighted. I've played two games where I have seen a rogue at the back do the following so I built my own.

Rogue: Cunning Action Hide around a tree, pillar, something... with an insanely high hide check. Per Crawford, hiding doesn't mean they don't generally know where you are. They just can't see you clearly.
Rogue: Attack with advantage since hidden (Can't see you clearly) and the rogue definitely beat the monsters usually terrible perception.
Rogue: DAMAGE!!

I brought a rogue in at 3rd level with a 16 dex. +5 to hit but with advantage and I do d6(3.5) + 3 + 2d6(7) so I'm averaging 13.5 a round at 3rd level. 20.5 damage at 5th and it escalates +7 every two levels from there. Those are some decent numbers at 3rd level and with the rate of gain increasing as it does, you can stay competitive however long you play that campaign. With nothing else changing you can expect 41.5 damage average a round at 19th level on a hit.

AND since you are rolling with advantage you are twice as likely to get a crit and fumbling is pretty darn rare. Crit damage on a sneak attack is sweet!

If that is true, why doesn't the invisibility spell automatically make you hidden? Surely it makes you unable to be seen clearly.

Remove ads