D&D 5E Why I Am Starting to Prefer 4d6 Drop the Lowest Over the Default Array.

Oofta

Legend
Ah - taken at face value this point says a lot.

You're specifically looking for (or expecting?) your character to be or become a hero. Further, this is influencing your choices and preferences all the way down to initial character generation method.

Me, I'm just looking for an interesting and entertaining character to play. Rest assured that any resulting heroism will be a purely accidental side effect, possibly regretted in the morning.

Lanefan

Well, yes, frequently I expect my characters to be heroic. More to the point I want a character to reflect the character I had imagined. I don't remember ever saying
"Wow, I would just love to play Joe the weak/clumsy/sickly/slow/dim-witted/ugly janitor!"*

My characters pretty much always have one or more flaws, often significant ones. They just aren't based on stats. Well, not based on stats alone anyway.

I suspect you simply approach things differently than I do. That you look at stats as a starting point - to me the stats of a character (and the rules of the game for that matter) are only there to implement my vision of my character.

*EDIT: I should say I don't want to play "Amazing Bob" with all 18 stats either. Oh, and no offense to the weak/clumsy/sickly/slow/dim-witted/ugly janitors out there. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, yes, frequently I expect my characters to be heroic. More to the point I want a character to reflect the character I had imagined. I don't remember ever saying
"Wow, I would just love to play Joe the weak/clumsy/sickly/slow/dim-witted/ugly janitor!"
Hey, turning Joe the hopeless janitor into Joe the castle-owning Baron could be quite the trip. :)

I suspect you simply approach things differently than I do. That you look at stats as a starting point - to me the stats of a character (and the rules of the game for that matter) are only there to implement my vision of my character.
I find my "vision" of a character is often quite malleable, and sometimes changes pretty quickly once I start playing it anyway.

Also, I can't get too married to a concept before I start rolling as it's entirely possible the dice will mess it up. That's what they're for, after all. :)

Lanefan

RotGrub

First Post
I totally agree that rolling stats is the way to go. It can actually help identify problem players before your campaign gets underway.

Oofta

Legend
I totally agree that rolling stats is the way to go. It can actually help identify problem players before your campaign gets underway.

How so? Someone's a problem player if they don't like rolling for stats? Or if a person complains if their character has stats that are far worse than others? Or does not like the fact that instead of playing a hero they're playing the water boy?

I see Charisma as being a combination of physical attractiveness and personal, well, magnetism for lack of a better word; at roughly half-weight each. It's either that or split them out - bring back the Comeliness stat - which I really don't want to do; six stats is enough.
Or maybe don't try to quantify physical attractiveness as an objective stat at all, because it's not objective.

An orcish warlord with Cha 18 or even 16 just can't happen, as I cap orc charisma at about 12. :)
There's one with 16 Charisma on p. 246 of the Monster Manual.

Yes, but some of us do our best to deny or ignore the existence of such things... :)
Because that "I want to be the best" trope is completely alien to western media, which instead produces protagonists like Rocky Balboa, Luke Skywalker, and Batman...

Last edited:

Soul Stigma

First Post
Or maybe don't try to quantify physical attractiveness as an objective stat at all, because it's not objective.

There's one with 16 Charisma on p. 246 of the Monster Manual.

Charisma (to me) definitely has nothing to do with physical attractiveness. Personally as a DM I really don't care if the players want their characters to be stunning or repulsive, it has no bearing on the actual game (RP does). Rather, Charisma is a measure of your presence, your ability to influence others and just personal magnitude. Hitler was not attractive, but he was unfortunately very charismatic.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

RotGrub

First Post
How so? Someone's a problem player if they don't like rolling for stats? Or if a person complains if their character has stats that are far worse than others? Or does not like the fact that instead of playing a hero they're playing the water boy?

Looks like you've been identified.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads