D&D 5E Why I Am Starting to Prefer 4d6 Drop the Lowest Over the Default Array.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Nothing has been added here for a while.

Point buy (my preference):
  • I come up with characters when we start talking about the campaign.
  • I don't want to rely on random luck to see if I can play the character I want to play.
  • I don't really care what my stats are as long as they are reasonable and on an even footing with other characters in the group. Not because it's a competition, but because I want a chance to contribute to the team at the same level as the rest of the group.
  • I don't see the point to randomizing stats for a character I'm going to play for hundreds of hours

Random Rollers:
  • Like to let the dice determine the character
  • If the dice give a character you don't like (or don't grow attached to) find a way to die.
  • If you don't like random characters it's because you aren't good enough skillful enough player to come up with an awesome character if you have below average stats.

I don't think your comparison does justice to those that prefer random rolls. There's rarely a need to find a way to die in a randomly rolled game because every DM I've seen allows rerolls for stats they feel are too low. Besides the few buttholes here that try to pressure others into their preferred playstyle by acting like they are less skilled or a bad role player, that line of thinking isn't something universal. Most people don't think you are a bad player or role play bad because you don't like rolling for stats. (Also if I recall I got told by the point buyers that I was a bad role player because I liked having high off stats).

I think a better facet of this discussion is how much variance in starting stats are you okay with? For example if there was a character that had 2 more in every stat than you would that be too far from equal footing?

Satyrn

First Post
Besides the few . . . that try to pressure others into their preferred playstyle by acting like they are less skilled or a bad role player, that line of thinking isn't something universal.
Sigh. I know, eh?

It gets hard to see past those people. It's tiring.

Satyrn

First Post
I think a better facet of this discussion is how much variance in starting stats are you okay with? For example if there was a character that had 2 more in every stat than you would that be too far from equal footing?

That definitely feels like too great a difference for me, whatever side of that variance I was on. It's just altogether better.

So what if it was 2 more in every stat, except one where it was 2 less? I think I'd be cool with that, so long as that one stat mattered.

Isn't this a controversial statement nowadays? At least on the Internet.

If class = profession, you've always been able to choose that.
Don't split hairs over nothing. I am fairly confident you do not deny the following proposition: "The default D&D character generation rules, and the rules used by most tables that roll for scores, allow you to choose aspects of your character which in real life are beyond the individual's control." The implication of this is that realism is not the sole goal of these rules, and that other considerations may override the dictates of realism, which renders realism alone a poor justification for doing things a certain way.

You yourself just mentioned a hypothetical Alice vs. Bob situation which is all about envy, "If Alice rolls an 18 Strength and Bob rolls a 14 Strength, the odds that Bob is going to roll 2 points higher than Alice on every significant Strength attack and check and save and damage roll are small and ever-diminishing as they keep having to make these rolls."
The hypothetical had nothing to do with envy. I didn't once mention Bob being envious. My point was mathematical, not emotional. @Lanefan made a claim about where good luck matters the most. I explained that his claim was incorrect. Good luck on a single roll at the beginning of the campaign reduces the need for good luck on dozens or hundreds of rolls over the entirety of the campaign.

People who can't accept stat variations are never happy with letting people use the default character generation rules (roll or standard array, your choice). They seem to always feel the need to force everyone into the same normalized bucket.
You are here ranting about the sins of a faceless "they", which I find is a manner of speech seldom worth serious regard. If, on the other hand, somebody were to point out that you apparently aren't happy with letting people use the standard array, and seem to feel the need to force everyone into the same randomized bucket, then they would be referring to real and specific statements made by a real and specific person, and would merit more attention.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I find this quite mean, do you ever give your PCs genuine rewards? Why do you think that setting up your players to fail is a good thing? I wonder if your players having problems being heroic is you intentionally making it more difficult than it should be.

I'm confused...what's mean about it? I suppose if this sort of thing happened all the time...ok. But that sort of thing is few and far between. And when it does, there's nothing stopping the player from trying to purchase it, trade for it, or butter up the owner in hopes of getting to keep it.

Setting up my players to fail? Uh...yeah! The DM should *always* be setting up the players to "fail" at an adventure/task...otherwise what's the point of even playing or rolling dice? I always assume my players PC's will 'fail' at most things. This usually doesn't happen, however, as when the poop hits the spinning blades, they work well enough together 9/10 to pull it out of the fire just in time. :)

Er...unless you mean "set up to fail" in some other sense? Like, hmmm...pre-deciding multiple things that will happen at the end of an adventure, regardless of what the players and their PC's did? In that case...no, I don't do that. That goes back to the whole "why bother playing?" thing. No point in playing a game involving player choice and random dice rolls if I have already "fixed the board" so to speak.

My players are heroic enough. Heroics and altruism varies based on campaign and game system. When playing Basic D&D they tend to be either "full-on heroes" or "full-on adventuring mercenaries". With 5e, they've tended towards the heroic side of things. With SUPERS!, obviously it's almost totally heroics. Sci-Fi games almost always puts them in a "mercantile/privateer" mindset for some reason. If I want a more "realistic behaviour" type of game, I'll whip out Call of Cthulhu or maybe my "Zombocalypse" game/setting (uses the Masterbook system...originally I was using Top Secret|S.I.)

With that said...one player just can not do "heroic guy" at all. One can pull it off 'most of the time'. The others in the group are totally hit or miss, and usually don't stick with it (or the character). Different strokes and all that. Play to your strengths, right? ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Lylandra

Adventurer
The only reasons why I don't like point buy are 1) Dump Stats and 2) Too same-y stats in the group.

I do like the "each player rolls 4d6 drop lowest and then everyone picks one of them, duplicats possible" idea. The only reasons why I didn't like random rolls were balance and fairness issues. And they can be addressed by giving everyone the same choice.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

I can't help but notice that you cut off the sentence after two words rather than acknowledge that the writers very explicitly had in mind people who "don't like the idea of randomly determining ability scores". But that's not really the important thing. You did quote the important thing: the word "you". Have you realized what this paragraph is actually saying? It's addressing the player, not the DM. The writers didn't just have in mind players who don't like random scores: the rules as written, the "default" which seems to be so important to you, clearly state that the decision to roll ability scores or use the standard array is in the individual player's hands.

Ok. I can see that now. I guess it was my old DM'ness when reading any rpg; the assumption that the DM is the decider of all things, so to speak. When reading rules and two or more options show up for any given thing, the DM is the one that decides which to use. But re-reading the paragraph with the "Player Goggles" on, yup. I have to agree with you. The player is the one to decide (well, unless overruled by the DM...but that would fall into "changing the rules" more than "adjudicating" them).

Game on!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Oofta

Legend
False premise. Standard array is worse than 4d6 drop lowest, on average. Somewhere around the 40th percentile I think. I think that was rather brilliant on WotC's part, in a way--it makes players who roll for stats feel pretty good about their rolls, because they're usually better than what they think is the average.

It also tends to create accusations of "cheating" on the part of those who don't know the math (see this thread for examples) and just see the results, but eh, what can you do?

Depends on how you come up with your numbers. Since the point buy system doesn't allow for numbers outside of 8-15, you will ultimately be putting your thumb on the scale one way or another when you decide what the cost of an 18 or a 3 is.

If you limit random rolls to 8-15, it's close (within a point or two).

The only thing rolling for stats guarantees is that the results will be random. In a fairly significant percentage of groups the difference will be significant. Some characters will have better than you could have gotten with point buy, some will be worse.

Zardnaar

Legend
The only reasons why I don't like point buy are 1) Dump Stats and 2) Too same-y stats in the group.

I do like the "each player rolls 4d6 drop lowest and then everyone picks one of them, duplicats possible" idea. The only reasons why I didn't like random rolls were balance and fairness issues. And they can be addressed by giving everyone the same choice.

We used something like this in 3E except you can pick any of the stats rolled not just everyone gets the same ones.

Oofta

Legend

Wouldn't that make them even more "samey"?

Although I don't see that in groups I've played with - nor have I cared. There are so many ways to vary characters, stats are one of the least significant from an RP perspective (when it come to results of contests/attacks of course it can make a large difference).

Remove ads