Why is Con so useless?

Number48

First Post
In 5E, the stated goal is to make ability scores count more. If that's the case, then we are going to have a problem with con. The other 5 scores represent things you can actively do, but Con is completely passive. Let me lay out an example.

The group needs to get into the mayor's house. The plan is to go tomorrow night. However, they first need to work out a way past the locked door in the back. I can see an approach based on Str, Dex, Int, Wis or Chr. I don't see any way to apply Con to this situation.

It's a sacred cow, they want to include everything D&Dish in 5E, so they won't get rid of Con, but if they were willing to make a good change for the system, I would ditch Con and have only 5 stats, or find another physical stat that is more proactive, or combine Int and WIs into a single stat while ditching Con to preserve the physical/mental balance of stats.

Mattachine

Adventurer
Con should be used for activities that require physical endurance, such as a forced march, extended swimming/holding breath, and so forth. It should come up in games, but many DMs never call for checks to see if the heroes can march onward.

Hassassin

First Post
The group needs to get into the mayor's house. The plan is to go tomorrow night. However, they first need to work out a way past the locked door in the back. I can see an approach based on Str, Dex, Int, Wis or Chr. I don't see any way to apply Con to this situation.

There's a well inside the Mayor's walled backyard that connects to an underground stream. You can try to hold your breath and swim in.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Nah, Con is a vital stat for any feat of endurance, and almost as important for many feats of resistance such as shrugging off disease and poison.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Con: The Long Term Stat

Con is endurance and health. It is for staying alive to swim through that flooded tunnel filled with lacedons. It is for defeating Clan Bellygrumble in 5 Keg Monte and Other drinking games. It is for the assassin to be able to wait in the privy all day for his target. Holding breath, stomaching bad cooking, sustaining "more weight" Giles Corey style, and saving that cliffhanger like Stallone could not are all Con checks and applications.

CM

Adventurer
IMO, Con has the unique status of being the stat that nobody wants to ignore. I would argue that it's the second most important stat you have (next to your primary class attribute). As far as active use, it's up to the DM to make sure that it comes in handy to have a high Con, just like any other stat.

Sadras

Legend

One of the characters decide to hide in one of the sealed wine barrels being delivered to the mayor's house for the party the mayor will be hosting. Character hides in an emptied and sealed wine barrel, Con checks required to survive the limited air supply until its safe for him to break out and let the others in.

Yora

Legend
Like Constitution, Wisdom is also pretty much entire passive. It gets added to spell DCs, but I can't think of any proactive uses of Wisdom, they are all reactive to something else.

In fact I think Wisdom is mostly mental Constitution.

Remove ads