Why re-release 3.5?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I said before that the reprintings might be being used as a gauge of popularity of prior editions to inform the 5Ed designers of the shape of their target markets.

In addition- and even more probably- it could also be a gauge for assessing which editions (if any) will see see continued life in print and/or with digital support as part of a new business model for WotC in general.

Reynard

Legend
I said before that the reprintings might be being used as a gauge of popularity of prior editions to inform the 5Ed designers of the shape of their target markets.

In addition- and even more probably- it could also be a gauge for assessing which editions (if any) will see see continued life in print and/or with digital support as part of a new business model for WotC in general.

Even though I don't like 4E and am not particularly excited by the 5E materials so far, and play Pathfinder rather than 3.5, I would do freaking cartwheels ifmWotC decided to actually supportmD&D as a whole, every edition -- even if support was limited to e-books and reprints of older material, multi- or preference statted new books (i.e. you set your edition preference before receiving the PDF or the PoD), and a "Powered by Dungeons and Dragons" license for 3rd party publishers. Labyrinth Lord is awesome but I am guessing Goblinoid Games would love to make officially branded modules and accessories for B/X D&D.

Specific day dreams aside, I would like to see WotC embrace the whole D&D community not by trying to make a perfect edition for all tastes -- it will never happen; hell, people don't even have the same tastes within an edition -- but by supporting all editions and their player communities. Imagine the WotC hall filled to the brim with OD&D tables next to 4E tables next to 2E tables and so on -- all playing the same adventures!

Drowbane

First Post
We still play 3.5 in my group... I still see little use for most of the changes that Pathfinder made to 3.5.

Largely this.

I like Paizo's setting, but their oddball House Rules leave me cold. I use CMB/CMD in my 3.5 game and allow players to use PF Classes (PF Paladin, for example is an improvement), but thats about it.

If WotC rereleases the Core, I will buy them. Perhaps two of each with the notion that they may never again see print.

I would sooner go back to 2e than pick up 4e. And I don't see any reason to switch from 3e to PF. I have my own House Rules that I have baked up since 3.0 was released. I don't need Jason Bulmahn's.

I do wish that Paizo started cracking out Dragon/Dungeon (under new names :p) again. I loved those mags under Paizo management.

Advilaar

Explorer
Hey, some of that material, particularly 2e Planescape and planes manuals were some of the best written supplements ever to hit a gaming table.

I would be down for some of those available.

Rogue Agent

First Post
The decision to put out new, erratta'd printings of the 3.5 Core, including asking what other books folks want, seems like a very strange choice for WotC.

From a purely commercial standpoint, it makes more sense than the 1E reprints.

Look at the used market: 1E core rulebooks can be had very, very cheaply. 3E core rulebooks, OTOH, are much more expensive. And, in the case of the 3.5 PHB, the price for even the lowest quality used copies have been higher than the original MSRP for years now. That tells you that the demand for 3.5 books is outstripping the current supply.

The 1E reprints will only sell to people interested in them as collector's items. A lot of people buying the 3.5 reprints, however, will be buying them because they want to play with them.

(Of course, copies of the 1E reprints will also be used in play. But that won't be the primary reason for purchase: If it were, those people would have already been buying the cheap copies of the originals that are available.)

This, BTW, is why the news that PF was outselling 4E (and doing so consistently) was so devastating for WotC. Although the market numbers are scant and poor, the indications are very clear that there's still a substantial number of 3.5 players who never migrated to PF. It's hard to say how large that market is, exactly, but if PF is larger than 4E all by itself, the fact that there's another substantial body of non-PF players who didn't migrate to 4E means that 4E only succeeded at converting a significant minority of existing D&D players.

I bring this up because it also suggests the other reason WotC is reprinting 3.5: They're going to have a very tough time converting PF players back to the D&D fold. (For reasons discussed at length here. Converting 3.5 players will also be tough at this point, but will probably be considerably easier than PF players.

By reprinting the 3.5 core rulebooks now, WotC is actively re-engaging those lost customers. In combination with other olive branches reversing the massively unpopular decisions that surrounded the release of 4E (like bringing back the sales of PDFs), it becomes part of an over-arching strategy to mend bridges.

It's also possible that WotC is hoping that D&D Next will be compatible enough with previous editions that the supplement line can be sold to everybody. I'm highly skeptical of that, but making those core rulebooks available would also make sense under this strategy.

I bring this up because it also suggests the other reason WotC is reprinting 3.5: They're going to have a very tough time converting PF players back to the D&D fold. (For reasons discussed at length here.
That's an interesting blog post. I think I probably agree with much of what he says, although it seems depressing and negative to think that.

I also like the idea presented in the comments about stepping back, letting the market sit for a while, and then rebooting afresh, sorta like how Batman or Star Trek was done. And I especially like the notion of appealing to neglected play structures--I've never quite understood the fixation official products, modules, and whatnot have with dungeons specifically. Granted, lots and lots of players do too, but I've never really gotten it, I don't think that they're fun, and I rarely use them when I'm running.

Although I have to admit that the blogpost lost me a bit when he started talking about having D&D and AD&D again; I'm not sure what he's proposing exactly there, but even without understanding what he's getting at, I find myself feeling very skeptical about the notion anyway. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which having a split product line in D&D is a good idea again. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which it was a good idea even back when it was done the first time.

I also have no idea what he's talking about when he references wizard win buttons and spherical cows, but maybe there's some kind of edition war jargon going on there that I'm not familiar with.

IronWolf

blank
I do wish that Paizo started cracking out Dragon/Dungeon (under new names :p) again. I loved those mags under Paizo management.

Check out Kobold Quarterly sometime. It is the best print magazine out for fantasy RPGs these days (okay, the field isn't very big, but it is still stellar).

TheObserver

Explorer
I for one play Pathfinder due to not being able to get a hold of the 3.5 core rules. I've since picked up the 3.5 MM and I have the 3.0 core rulebooks. Will I get the reprints?? Maybe, if I keep on listening to my inner collector voice that is. Of course I have a lot of 4th Ed stuff as well.

I for one play Pathfinder due to not being able to get a hold of the 3.5 core rules. I've since picked up the 3.5 MM and I have the 3.0 core rulebooks. Will I get the reprints?? Maybe, if I keep on listening to my inner collector voice that is. Of course I have a lot of 4th Ed stuff as well.
Really? The Hypertext d20 SRD (v3.5 d20 System Reference Document) :: d20srd.org

You can get them for free online. I never bought the PHB or DMG either. I still feel--after, what nearly ten years? a big gypped that my 3e versions of the rules were "obsoleted" so quickly.

I did end up buying the new Monster Manual, though. Of all the books, I thought that one was one I'd find convenient to have in hard copy. But as a player, I can look classes and races up on the SRD, and as GM, I can mostly use my older stuff if I really need to.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
And I especially like the notion of appealing to neglected play structures--I've never quite understood the fixation official products, modules, and whatnot have with dungeons specifically. Granted, lots and lots of players do too, but I've never really gotten it, I don't think that they're fun, and I rarely use them when I'm running.
Agreed, and an interesting point. I've only used a couple of things that even loosely qualify as dungeons in over ten years of DMing. I tried one as a beginner and didn't like it. I like the idea less now. Seems a very limiting trope for a game to hang its hat on when that game is played in the mind.

Remove ads