D&D 5E Why so few magic polearms in the DMG?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Ish. I guess.
I was half joking. I think the real answer is the thing people have been saying about swords being the more iconic weapon of fantasy and myth. Balancing PAM is more of a side-benefit.

The problem is that PAM makes polearms so good there should be more of them. At least, I'd expect people who make magic weapons to pick weapons that extraordinarily effective. Why enchant something that's inherently inferior?
Meh, that doesn’t matter.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Hmm. I always thought that "sword" was just shorthand for "bladed weapon of your choice" or something like that, and not really a hard requirement. I was about to respond with words to this effect, too, until I read through this thread. Apparently the design intent really was to have magic swords outnumber all other magic weapons by like 10:1.

I don't really know what to say to that. I mean, I've been placing all kinds of magical, re-skinned "swords" for years and haven't found any issues. Our fighter is currently using a glaive of wounding, and the sorceress is quite fond of her dancing dagger. (shrug) I don't feel compelled to change them now, or to change the way I've been placing treasure.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think that how good the mechanics of the PAM feat are probably have very little to do with the presence or absence of polearms
Agreed.

Keep in mind, folks, that the official line in 5e is that Feats like PAM are opt-in optional, and magic items are not 'assumed' in the game's balance. So balancing one off against the other - when either or both might be absent - doesn't make a lotta sense.

Remove ads