Why we need Warlords in D&DN

I thnk if we looked at other threads we could find a rationale argument for the inclusion of Vancian magic. On this thread, however, your not really convicing me of your logic on the issues we have discussed - and I am not trying to exclude anybody.

On the naming front - what would people think of calling the 'Warlord' class just 'Lord' on it's own? I also considered things like Knight and Prince (as discussed earlier), and you could possibly add Noble to the list. But I'm just checking if people like a compromise of calling the class just 'Lord'?

Wormwood

Adventurer
I thnk if we looked at other threads we could find a rationale argument for the inclusion of Vancian magic. On this thread, however, your not really convicing me of your logic on the issues we have discussed - and I am not trying to exclude anybody.
I think the point is, would you be willing to allow for the inclusion of such a class in the game---hypothetically as one of those 'optional modules' that everyone hopes will exist?

(and on an unrelated note, it does seem like we're forming a bit of a cargo cult about modularity---but that's an argument for a different thread)

Sorry if I lack patience when I provide people with sources that explain terms and then have someone completely forget or ignore about it a few posts later. That's disrespectful. If you want to continue to have a dialogue with me, then you are going to have to read what I post so that it actually becomes a dialogue reaching synthesis rather than you having a monologue.

Well, I am ceasing dialogue with you now.

I think the point is, would you be willing to allow for the inclusion of such a class in the game---hypothetically as one of those 'optional modules' that everyone hopes will exist?

(and on an unrelated note, it does seem like we're forming a bit of a cargo cult about modularity---but that's an argument for a different thread)

Well, I have also said so - yes. I just would like to see such a class adjusted to make more sense, in an archetypal way.

In terms of modularity, I also think that it can't work on every level. The new game is going to have to make some decisions, compromises or otherwise.

Vayden

First Post

Please start a thread about this cult. I am interested in your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Aldarc

Legend
Well, I am ceasing dialogue with you now.
I know. It's rude for me to expect the respect of open dialogue by you actually having to read the posts you are responding to. ;) You stopped having a genuine dialogue with me several pages back. I have gone round and round pointing to you what the term 'leader' means in 4E and what 'hit points' mean in D&D and how the 'Warlord' operates in 4E, but you have persistently ignored that because the 'hammer' designed to 'hammer' was not a 'screwdriver' designed to 'screw screws.'

I know. It's rude for me to expect the respect of open dialogue by you actually having to read the posts you are responding to. ;) You stopped having a genuine dialogue with me several pages back. I have gone round and round pointing to you what the term 'leader' means in 4E and what 'hit points' mean in D&D and how the 'Warlord' operates in 4E, but you have persistently ignored that because the 'hammer' designed to 'hammer' was not a 'screwdriver' designed to 'screw screws.'

he also feels "The most basic skill" is beyond the rogue and fighter

Dausuul

Legend
Come on, guys. This is the freakin' 5th Edition forum, and this little back-and-forth is your excuse for an edition war? Man, when 4E was coming out, we fought edition wars that made the skies bleed. Kids these days.

...Anyway.

Here's a question: It seems likely that 5E will offer at least some support for non-battlemat play, and if the warlord is to be a core class, it'll need to be able to function in that environment. The 4E warlord relies heavily on movement-based powers. What sort of abilities should the "taclord" have in the absence of exact positioning?

Come on, guys. This is the freakin' 5th Edition forum, and this little back-and-forth is your excuse for an edition war? Man, when 4E was coming out, we fought edition wars that made the skies bleed. Kids these days.

...Anyway.

Here's a question: It seems likely that 5E will offer at least some support for non-battlemat play, and if the warlord is to be a core class, it'll need to be able to function in that environment. The 4E warlord relies heavily on movement-based powers. What sort of abilities should the "taclord" have in the absence of exact positioning?

I think most of the powers can work, even with movement being abstract, a free move is good, bonus to hit damage, and out of turn attacks are good. Healing temp hp and saves/defences still work.

Remove ads