• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why would anyone ever want the quickdraw feat?

Kaelynna

First Post
I know some prestige classes require the quickdraw feat, but other than that why would anyone want it?

Quickdraw allows one to draw a weapon as a free action instead of a move equivalent action. However, doesn't the Player's Handbook read that anyone who has BAB of +1 or higher can automatically draw a weapon as a free action?

Thanks,
- Kae.

the Jester

Legend
No, you can draw a weapon as part of a normal move. Quickdraw allows you to draw a weapon and still full attack in the same round, or sheath, draw, attack, or any number of other combos. It's especially good for a two weapon fighter.

Vymair

First Post
My last two melee characters have both taken this feat for different reasons.

My archer character took it to eliminate the need to use move-eq action to draw his sword so he could fire arrows until the last possible second.

My halfing fighter took it for dagger throwing.

Last edited:

mmu1

First Post
Most important reason: You're a rogue and want to be able to sneak-attack with any weapon you normally carry on your person at any time without needing to walk around with a drawn weapon - especially in surprise rounds when all you have is a partial action.

Kaelynna

First Post
the Jester said:
No, you can draw a weapon as part of a normal move. Quickdraw allows you to draw a weapon and still full attack in the same round, or sheath, draw, attack, or any number of other combos. It's especially good for a two weapon fighter.

From the SRD

Draw a weapon [Move Equivalent][AoO: No]
Description: If a character has a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, a character can combine one of these actions with a regular move. If a character has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, a character can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take a character to draw one.

So if the character is only a single weapon wielder, then Quickdraw is not very useful. I can see now where multi weapon wielders or dagger throwers would like this feat.

Thanks!
- Kae.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Kaelynna Thelanthra said:

From the SRD
Draw a weapon [Move Equivalent][AoO: No]
Description: If a character has a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, a character can combine one of these actions with a regular move. If a character has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, a character can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take a character to draw one.

So if the character is only a single weapon wielder, then Quickdraw is not very useful. I can see now where multi weapon wielders or dagger throwers would like this feat.

- Kae.

It's valuable for any character that gets more than one attack with their primary weapon. If an 11th level fighter were to find himself face-to-face with an opponent, he would have to draw his weapon (as his move-equivalent) and he'd only get one attack.

With Quickdraw, he can draw his weapon and get three attacks. More attacks in first round of combat=good.

He who strikes first (hard!) typically strikes last.

Kaelynna

First Post
This isn't how I understand it...

Kid Charlemagne said:

It's valuable for any character that gets more than one attack with their primary weapon. If an 11th level fighter were to find himself face-to-face with an opponent, he would have to draw his weapon (as his move-equivalent) and he'd only get one attack.

With Quickdraw, he can draw his weapon and get three attacks. More attacks in first round of combat=good.

He who strikes first (hard!) typically strikes last.

Read this again from the SRD

a character can combine one of these actions with a regular move.

This means that the 11th level fighter in your example could draw his weapon without using a move-equivalent action and therefore could get all his attacks as long as he didn't move greater than 5'.

- Kae.

the Jester

Legend
A 5' step is not a regular move, it's an "adjustment" that still lets you take a full-round action. I don't know of anyone who will let you draw a weapon and take a full attack without quickdraw; that's what quickdraw is for. I seem to recall the quickdraw topic coming up in Sage Advice in an issue of Dragon (not sure which one, off hand), and that's pretty much what the Sage said too iirc.

Remove ads