D&D (2024) Will we get 5 tiers of game in 5.5 insted of current 4?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But WotC has never known what to do with them, and they're still there.

It seems to me that TSR didn't really have an idea what to do with them either. And it isn't like D&D is the only game that runs into trouble at the upper end of its power curve.

I submit that the players don't really have a solid, consistent idea of what they want out of play at that level either.

Condense abilities from 20 levels to 13(suggested Tier4), where most games end(or long before)
last 6 levels just expand on already gained abilities.
if you took everything but prof and HD/HP that a 20th level fighter gets and give it to the 10th level fighter (so 4 attacks a bunch of subclass features and some extra indomitable and even an extra feat) the fighter still wont have the options and versatiltity or even power of a 9th level wizard cause nothing there equals a 5th level spell

we would be so lucky, that will never happen as fighters must be weak or wizards will have to grow up and admit they are not living gods or unliving if they ascent to lichdom.
I fail to see the logic in these assertions. To each his own I guess. I am on the camp that wizards and other casters are on the relatively weak side now. I would rather see them with lower HP but more spell slots. And spells should do way more damage.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It seems to me that TSR didn't really have an idea what to do with them either. And it isn't like D&D is the only game that runs into trouble at the upper end of its power curve.

I submit that the players don't really have a solid, consistent idea of what they want out of play at that level either.
I disagree. TSR reserved high levels for kingdom-building and keeping high-level they felt should be in the game but largely out of reach for PCs. After 9th level or so, you're supposed to re-focus your efforts on the big picture, and leave the life of an adventurer behind for the most part. That idea wasn't popular so it was gradually dropped, leaving us with the high level mess we have now.

if you took everything but prof and HD/HP that a 20th level fighter gets and give it to the 10th level fighter (so 4 attacks a bunch of subclass features and some extra indomitable and even an extra feat) the fighter still wont have the options and versatiltity or even power of a 9th level wizard cause nothing there equals a 5th level spell
And this is a good thing.

Horwath

Legend
Given that they have almost no adventure support above that point, it would seem they do recognize it.

That said, I'm happy for the higher levels to still be there.
don't get me wrong, I like it too.
There should always be an option to continue to the next campaign with same charcters.
Just, the goodies need to come sooner :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases